• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whitefish Point Spring Fling? (1 Viewer)

The Lion Cub

We are planning to go to Whitefish Point on April 23-25 for the spring migration. I read an article about it and it sounded great, but I was wondering if anyone who's been there can give me an idea of what kinds of birds they saw, what it was like, and what to expect, so we know what we're getting into!

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Well i made it out here after a long journey and am really enjoying it. A good passage of nearly 100 Common Loons today; yesterday 340 Sandhill Cranes, and while waiting for the snow showers to stop i had cracking views of a male Spruce Grouse on an old trail after walking into the woods for about a mile.
Hoping to find a good Michigan bird for all the Spring Flingers!
Cheers.

Funny you should say that.... nope not seen one, but today a Common Loon with light reflecting off its bill made me decide to check each one carefully if i get a chance!
Common Redpoll by the feeders while waiting for the fog to shift, finally got a good look at the UTC's. Also a Pine Siskin.
Cheers.

Saw a Purple finch and an Evening grosbeak at the feeder, and spied a Rusty blackbird among the cowbirds and grackles. We sat at the feeders after dusk and saw a Saw-whet Owl fly down onto the ground by the feeder. He sat there a minute, but we couldn't see him for the dark. The woods come alive with the sound of woodcocks at night!

Last edited:
Wow that's fantastic. Not seen a Saw Whet yet. Or a Woodcock for that matter so will try your tactic - thanx for the info. Got lucky with Ruffed and Spruce Grouse though, and had good numbers of loons going through inc Red Throated. The blog is updated regularly.
Cheers.

An excellent couple of days, with lots of new birds in on these south winds inc Swamp and Vesper Sparrows and several spp of warbler. R T Loons increasing in number too. Just witnessed the amazing sight of over 1000 B W Hawks in one flock! Awesome.

Anhinga!

An anhinga was seen at the Soo 2 days ago and was apparently headed this way!
As they say,: "No sign so far despite extensive searching!"
Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back