• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ATS 65 v 80 HD? (1 Viewer)

Scarletmacawdad

Friends,

I got a great deal on an ATS 65 and I am now using it profitably. Predictably, over ~40x or so the image darkens in daytime and over ~30x within an hour of sunset or heavy clouds.

Question: any of you use the 80 and the 65 side by side? I can swap out my 65 for an 80 for an additional $500, or be happy with this little guy and swap to my 50mm bins near sunset.

Any thoughts?

You are are so wonderful and helpful.

I am also considering selling my 25-50W in lieu of the 30x fixed. I just confirmed with Swaro the 30x has the same "coatings" so no loss in quality.

A Swaro rep is sending me photos of the 80 side by side with the 65 now so I can see what I am saving in size etc.

But since the 80 tops out at 50, thinking is I get a Kowa or an ATX that will reach deeper later on and sell this 65 set up.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Photos from Swaro

Attachments

• 20191223_153332.jpg
    20191223_153332.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 227
  • 20191223_153337.jpg
    20191223_153337.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 197
  • 20191223_153344.jpg
    20191223_153344.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 195
I regularly use both the ATS 65HD and ATS 80HD in the course of voluntary woirk I do (where members of the public use the scopes). We use both the 25-50w and the 20-60 eyepieces.

Both are fine instruments and the images are very good (as you are experiencing). When using the ATS65 I sometimes feel it is a bit like looking down a tube - an experience I don't get with the ATS 80 nor with my own Kowa 883 - and so I prefer using the bigger instrument. That said, our scopes are mounted on fixed mounts and aren't carried about. If I was carrying the scopes about I might prefer the ATS 65HD - there is weight saving of about 275g which over the course of a day might be noticeable (although I carry my own Kowa about happily). The bigger scope is better at dusk or when the light is poor, but really I think it is marginal. You might think for the additional $500 it is worth spending. How much use will you make of an instrument in poor light?

I rather think you cannot go wrong with either of the Swaros. You may prefer the bigger instrument for the use to which you will put it. Only you can decide.

So having used both 65 & 80 side by side what i noticed was that initially i would think ok its brighter but the question is does it let me see any more detail ? as time progressed comparing both i realised that the detail was there in the 65. It really comes down to how important that extra bit of brightness is to you ? 65/80 are pretty close for me, if you really want more light the i think the 95 is the way to go. In good light if you setup 65, 80 and 95 its surprising how close they are.

When using the ATS65 I sometimes feel it is a bit like looking down a tube - an experience I don't get with the ATS 80

Both scopes have the same focal length, so with the same eyepiece will have identical fields of view, although of course the exit pupil of the ATS 65 will be correspondingly smaller.

@Scarletmacawdad

I have an ATM 65HD (magnesium-bodied version) and have had almost identical experience to Paddy7 in the parallel thread.

When I purchased it I compared it to an ATM 80HD in good lighting at maximum zoom magnification and could discern no difference. I bought it with the 30x W eyepiece, which has unfortunately been discontinued but is one of the best eyepieces to have been offered for a spotting scope. Some users have problems with the viewing comfort of the 25-50x zoom but if you get on with it, it does offer you more flexibility.

A couple of years ago I persuaded myself that I needed more magnification, and hence more aperture, and bought a Kowa 883 as a replacement. However, I couldn't bring myself to part with the ATM 65 and still use both depending on lighting conditions, birding location and the distance I'm going to have to carry the scope. And yes, I do notice the difference between 3,5 kg and 4 kg.

Btw, although the Kowa also has excellent resolution, viewing conditions seldom allow me to profit fom magnifications above 50x.

John

Thank you all.

I am now extremely happy with the ATS 65. The answer to my puzzle is the same as the one I had with binoculars: you need at least two.

I'm in Southern California and the heat makes mag over 40x or so not visually informative. But, man, today I was sweeping a field at 40x and saw a Harrier having lunch. I'm grateful for this little thing.

Thank you all.

I have had a 65 scope prior.....thinking it was cheaper and that I didn't need the larger scope. But, I ...sold the 65 and purchased the 80mm..... Go for the gusto for it isn't that expensive!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back