• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello Everybody. Costa Rica Audio? (1 Viewer)

Hello Everybody,

I just joined the forum and am excited to participate and converse with other birders from around the globe. What an increadibly cool concept.

I do have a question right off the bat. I am planning a return trip to Costa Rica for this January and am looking for any audio recordings that might be out there. Any ideas where to start looking??

Also, while researching I noticed there have been some reports of a Harpy being reported in Amestad International Reserve. Does anybody know what kind of Harpy numbers are in southern Costa Rica?

Thanks and Bird on,
Daniel

Hi, Daniel! Welcome to BirdForum on behalf of all of us on staff here!

I've copied your post to the "Information Wanted" forum where it'll probably get a few more responses on your Costa Rica questions. Hope you have a great trip there and will come back and report on all the great sightings! :t:

Hi Daniel and welcome to birdforum
In my opinion, the best CD is 'Costa Rican Bird Song Sampler' by David L. Ross Jr. It has a good selection of different species, grouped by habitat. There are also a number of other good ones. A page on my website (below) has a page on recordings from central America, so may give you some other suggestions.
To my knowledge there are no regular Harpy Eagles in Costa Rica (unless things have changed recently), though there are occasional claims from the Osa Peninsula. I don't know the Amestad International Reserve is, so i can't judge the likelihood of sightings. When I was staying at a lodge in the Osa Peninsula a few years ago there was a claim from an old local who remembered them from the old days. we searched the area without success. I remember them saying that it would have been the first record in the country for many years. I know that a few years ago there was a nest in Panama that could be visited, but I don't know if it is still there.
The best of luck with your trip

Tom

Harpy Eagles

Hello Daniel & Everyone,

Will like to take this opportunity to wish everyone Happy Holidays and the very best in the new 2006.

I am not familiar with the harpy eagle reports in Costa Rica. However, I just returned from visiting three different active eagle nests around Panama. A few with older eagles, and one with a young chick. Will try to post a picture in the Gallery for the first time... wish me luck :)

If you would like to know more about the Harpies or any of the 965+ species in Panama, don't hesitate asking.

Warm regards from Panama,
Guido

Guido C. Berguido
Biologist - Operations
Advantage Tours Panama
"Adventures in nature with the local advantage"

P.O. Box 69, Balboa
Republic of Panama
Tel. 011-507-6676-2466
fax: 011-507-228-6535
e.mail: [email protected]
web: www.advantagepanama.com

birdmandan said:
Hello Everybody,

I just joined the forum and am excited to participate and converse with other birders from around the globe. What an increadibly cool concept.

I do have a question right off the bat. I am planning a return trip to Costa Rica for this January and am looking for any audio recordings that might be out there. Any ideas where to start looking??

Also, while researching I noticed there have been some reports of a Harpy being reported in Amestad International Reserve. Does anybody know what kind of Harpy numbers are in southern Costa Rica?

Thanks and Bird on,
Daniel

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back