• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera nest box (1 Viewer)

eco

Hi all, ive just received a colour nest box camera for my birthday:t: just wondering if anyone else has one and could offer tips on use?

Is it better to get it up now or wait until feb march time? if now would you leave the camera outside over winter?

cant wait and hope it works, im going to replace it in the same spot as an old nest box that gets used every year without fail by blue tits.

thanks eco

Bird box camera

Thats a nice surprise. After a few seasons, I would recommend installing it now. It will give birds time to get used to the box and its surroundings. Most birds are aware of new objects in their territory, so swapping would be perfect. I got an excellant bird box camera system for Christmas, where the box was larger than my average box. When I swapped the box, the birds seemed to love it.

Also, I have always left my cameras in my boxes throughout the winter. I did contact Handykam, who said that you turn on your camera now and again, it should be ok. However, they said that most electronics should be robust enough to handle a cold snap. Alternatively, you can leave it on all the time too. I normally do this as the box is nice and dry and I can monitor winter roosters too.

Camera nest boxes are great fun and become addictive. Hope you enjoy your nest box and fingers crossed for Spring.

KT

Hi all, ive just received a colour nest box camera for my birthday:t: just wondering if anyone else has one and could offer tips on use?

Is it better to get it up now or wait until feb march time? if now would you leave the camera outside over winter?

cant wait and hope it works, im going to replace it in the same spot as an old nest box that gets used every year without fail by blue tits.

thanks eco

Yes agree put it up now, the birds are greatful of somewhere to night roost. A few years ago we had male Great Tit that moved in in the Sept and was resident night roosting for the next 18 months [yes he even stayed in it during the breeding season and saw a few off that tried to take it over. It got to the point you could almost set your watch at his arrival time We just put our camera on for a couple of hours every week during autumn/winter

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back