• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

first winter blackcap (1 Viewer)

Hello B <g>

I think the Collins Bird guide is probably the best buy,comes in hardback as well as Paperback,and two sizes,I have the small paperback for outdoors and the large hardback copy for the house.

Thank you so much. I'll order it from Amazon straight away :)

I am still trying workout the ID of your little bird!!!!

I'm so very sorry I can't take a picture of it, but my poor little F10 has a pathetic zoom. A photo would sort it out so quickly

I've been searching online to try to find a photo which looks like it. It's *so* frustrating. I can watch it through my bins, and it's only a few yards away, so I can see every detail, but I can't see anything that looks like it. I'm sure it will turn out to by quite mundane, but I'm getting obsessed with trying to find out what it is :)

Thanks again for trying. If you need any more details, or anything clarified, just ask, but for now, I'm off to bed.

My point-and-click on auto (through double-glazing) is all I have, so please accept these photos as for identification, and not artistic purposes ;-)

I set up a very unconvincing hide in the kitchen, behind the window, in order to get close enough to my mystery bird so that I could offer something a bit less confusing than my amateur written description.

I've come to the conclusion that it's a youngish something-or-other that has lost its tail feathers to a cat ;-) But I'm really hoping someone here can help. I would think that Bob and about 99% of you will be able to take a glance at this and immediately know what it is :)

Many thanks for your patience.

(Bob, I tried to get the Collins Bird guide via Amazon, but it's temporarily unavailable. I'm now looking further afield for a copy).

It was a very grey day, and the faint pale eye stripes can't be seen, but I'm hoping it will be enough for identification :)

Attachments

• CROP 1.JPG
    CROP 1.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 68
  • CROP 2 BM.JPG
    CROP 2 BM.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 64
  • CROP 3 BIT.JPG
    CROP 3 BIT.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 74
My point-and-click on auto (through double-glazing) is all I have, so please accept these photos as for identification, and not artistic purposes ;-)

I set up a very unconvincing hide in the kitchen, behind the window, in order to get close enough to my mystery bird so that I could offer something a bit less confusing than my amateur written description.

I've come to the conclusion that it's a youngish something-or-other that has lost its tail feathers to a cat ;-) But I'm really hoping someone here can help. I would think that Bob and about 99% of you will be able to take a glance at this and immediately know what it is :)

Many thanks for your patience.

(Bob, I tried to get the Collins Bird guide via Amazon, but it's temporarily unavailable. I'm now looking further afield for a copy).

It was a very grey day, and the faint pale eye stripes can't be seen, but I'm hoping it will be enough for identification :)

Hi Tintageu. Pics are fine, though I can't give you an answer, sorry! It looks similar to a lesser whitethroat, but it's not a bird I know well enough. Could you post the pics on the ID thread, or give a link to this one. There'll be plenty of folk who can help, I'm sure.

I have had blackcaps in my garden for the first time this year. They were eating the berries off my bush, don't know the name of it.(black berries in late autumn/early winter and hanging pink flowers in summer) I first saw a male on November 20th and since then there have been 2 females and a male together up until 28th December when I saw 3 males and a female all together. The males were chasing each other about so I assume they are a bit territorial. I had 2 males in the garden today again they were chasing each other about. The berries have all gone now so I have been putting sultanas and raisins down for them and they have been taking them. They have not been anywhere near the feeders. They are also eating the flower buds off of a palm like tree I have in the garden.

I have had blackcaps in my garden for the first time this year.

Me too, though for the first time ever, as for several other people on this thread. And although I know there must always be first sightings of any bird (for someone somewhere) I was wondering if blackcap number are up this winter?

I
first saw a male on November 20th and since then there have been 2 females and a male together up until 28th December when I saw 3 males and a female all together.

You're so lucky :) I keep on hearing stories of territorial fights, and general blackcap pugnacious behaviour, but my bird feeding station seems to only ever attract one of most species of any bird at a time so far this winter, and they all tolerate each other very well. My blackcap male seems quite unconcerned by other birds.

(The only exception to the 'one-bird' rule is the raiding party of long-tailed tits who arrive every morning and cluster so tightly around the peanut feeder that it disappears from sight ;-)

They are also eating the flower buds off of a palm like tree I have in the garden

Is it a cabbage palm? Our neighbour has one with huge flowers on this year and it acts like a black hole for birds <g> I recently saw a whole flock of starlings disappear in there. Now I'll watch more closely to see if the blackcap feeds there too :)

Cheers

Sourton, I have had Blackcaps in my garden for the last four winters and I have discovered that they enjoy suet but will also feed on a verity of different seeds, especially the bits dropped by the finches from the feeders. I have drilled holes into a branch and pack the holes with suet and crushed peanuts. I have also made a mixture of mixed bird seed, sunflower hearts, crushed peanuts, sultanas, white bread, bran and suet. I mix this all together with a couple of cups of warm water and put into the microwave for about fifteen minuets. When cold I put out for the birds and all of them attack it. Try it out mate, I'm sure you will see a difference.
The suet log will also attract the Great Spotted Woodpecker and the colorful starling.

Attachments

• 1st.JPG
    1st.JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 2nd.JPG
    2nd.JPG
    174.4 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCF4215.JPG
    DSCF4215.JPG
    183.1 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCF7169.JPG
    DSCF7169.JPG
    189.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Sourton, I have had Blackcaps in my garden for the last four winters and I have discovered that they enjoy suet but will also feed on a verity of different seeds, especially the bits dropped by the finches from the feeders. I have drilled holes into a branch and pack the holes with suet and crushed peanuts. I have also made a mixture of mixed bird seed, sunflower hearts, crushed peanuts, sultanas, white bread, bran and suet. I mix this all together with a couple of cups of warm water and put into the microwave for about fifteen minuets. When cold I put out for the birds and all of them attack it. Try it out mate, I'm sure you will see a difference.
The suet log will also attract the Great Spotted Woodpecker and the colorful starling.

Great pics, Tanny. They make more natural pics on the branches than on feeders. Wish I could get the GSW to stop- it flies over but rarely visits.

1 of the male bcaps has found the suet in the front garden, and is quite happy to share it at present. But the back garden male, after changing from mainly fruit to mainly suet, has undergone a personality change, and is behaving like so many others - attacking everything in sight!! It hides in the honeysuckle and waits........:-O

Tanny, I agree with Mary, great pics indeed. That one of the blackbird and the blackcap at the suet cake is a peach :)

In your tip for Sourton you also solved a problem for me. I presently have feeders and a small bird table suspended from a young elm, in order to prevent predation by the scores of neighbourhood cats, and I dare not put suet cake on the ground. This means that the larger birds have been excluded, and I've been seeking a solution. Your suet log suggestion is a perfect answer :)

I have lots of bits of found wood, and already have my carpentry tools out as I'm working on another project, so I'll make a couple of logs up and attach them high up in the tree and see how long it takes for the bigger birds to get the idea :)

Mary. My male blackcap still hasn't followed the sultana trail as far as the bird table, and so is still on an all-fruit diet. If he takes to the suet logs, I will watch closely to see if his previously placid demeanor undergoes the same personality change ;-)

Yours sounds just like a highwayman <g>

Blackcaps and Redcaps

Hi , I'm so pleased you liked the pictures, I take them through my double glazed dining room window. These birds are giving me so much enjoyment with all their antics. One of the females is the dominant one and chases away the other female and male and is even having a go at the Robin. As you can see by these pictures she is hanging in there even when the Blackbirds come to feed. I like this picture of the male drinking. I expect to get many different pictures throughout the winter and will post them on if this thread continues, failing that I think I might start a thread myself on these birds and the other birds that visit my feeding station.

Attachments

• DSCF8677.JPG
    DSCF8677.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF8712.JPG
    DSCF8712.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCF8716.JPG
    DSCF8716.JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 54
Your photos have a wonderful narrative quality :) My daughter and I creased up laughing over the stance of that hen blackbird <g>

I'll look forward to seeing more.

Cheers

A couple more

These birds are great entertainers, they dash into the garden to feed and chase each other about and show great reluctance to leave the food. I put out another bird cake yesterday and the Blackcap was soon onto it. The Blackbird with white stripes on its wings is always here, we call him the "Battle Sargent" because of the stripes and a crippled foot. The title of the picture of these two is, "ignore him he might go away". The hen bird, whom I call "Redcap" seems to prefer the suet log and when the sun reflects off the window onto her plumage, it seems to give her a different coloration. Thanks for the comments. Tanny.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 52
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 56
Just come accross this thread, had the first Blackcap of the winter (a male) arrive in our Derbyshire garden last night, and its still present today. We have never had many Blackcaps in winter due to the exposed, fairly high up nature of the garden but when they do occur they almost always take up residence in the flowering Mahonia bush near my window (as this bird has now done). This shrub has a good covering of flowers and a heady scent at this time of year and the birds seem to drink the nectar. This behaviour is also seen in Blue Tit. The same bush has also held a number of wintering Chiffchaff over the years, including, just once a "pukka" Siberian! Chiffchaff are even rarer here in winter than Blackcap.
I wonder if in addition to drinking the nectar whether the birds are picking off the odd hardy insect that is attracted to the flowers?

Cheers

Just come accross this thread, had the first Blackcap of the winter (a male) arrive in our Derbyshire garden last night, and its still present today. We have never had many Blackcaps in winter due to the exposed, fairly high up nature of the garden but when they do occur they almost always take up residence in the flowering Mahonia bush near my window (as this bird has now done). This shrub has a good covering of flowers and a heady scent at this time of year and the birds seem to drink the nectar. This behaviour is also seen in Blue Tit. The same bush has also held a number of wintering Chiffchaff over the years, including, just once a "pukka" Siberian! Chiffchaff are even rarer here in winter than Blackcap.
I wonder if in addition to drinking the nectar whether the birds are picking off the odd hardy insect that is attracted to the flowers?

Cheers
Better late than never! Perhaps it ran out of food wherever it was previously. Mahonia plants certainly seem to be useful for a non native. Round here, the ivy berries are starting to ripen at last, a much needed wild source.

I've not seen a female blackcap for a couple of weeks, only 2 or 3 males now.

Its strange but all the Blackcaps I've seen in the garden in winter have always turned up Jan/Feb, mind you it was cold over night and it is nowhere to be seen today...maybe its dropped down into the valley where the main town is as its warmer down there! Mind you 15+ Brambling have made a nice sight today!

All the best

Just stumbled on this thread-I had a female blackcap on the feeders yesterday-a prize for the most northerly wintering bird so far?;) And a garden first too...

Though looking at local records 9 in the region 2 winters ago so not that unusual even here

Last count was 16 in the pepper tree filling up on ivy and pepper berries before they leave for their breeding grounds next month.

Attachments

• Blackcap.jpg
    Blackcap.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 77
Last count was 16 in the pepper tree filling up on ivy and pepper berries before they leave for their breeding grounds next month.

Lovely photo, Bob. They certainly like variety! Is it a pepper tree as in 'peppercorns' that we use for cooking?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back