• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help needed with Goose and Gull ID (Jamaica Bay Queens NY)... (1 Viewer)

AsterixnObelix

I took these pictures yesterday at Jamaica Bay West Pond. A goose that flew in with a flock of Snow Geese had all the features according to Sibley's of a "Dark Morph" Snowy, so I would like help on confirming the ID. In addition, there was a Gull over on the East Pond that I thought might be a Great Black-backed, but I am not sure. As always, thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DarkMorphSnowGooseIMG_3576.jpg
    DarkMorphSnowGooseIMG_3576.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 158
  • UnknownGullIMG_3583.jpg
    UnknownGullIMG_3583.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 173
Hi, Greater black-backed gulls are common here.(Scotland).... but that's something else!

Last edited:
great black backed is allright, probably a 3rd winter. even in this small resolution the proportions head/body/bill don't leave much room for LBBG.

great black backed is allright, probably a 3rd winter. even in this small resolution the proportions head/body/bill don't leave much room for LBBG.

Hmmm...well I did a bit of research and I have found some data indicating a 3rd winter GBB would have a pinkish bill or yellowish bill with black tip. This Gull has a black bill with either a pinkish or yellowish tip.

Agreed, structure syas it all. A black beak at that age is wrong for GBBG, but all other large gulls that I can think of as well!

Agreed, structure syas it all. A black beak at that age is wrong for GBBG, but all other large gulls that I can think of as well!

Hi birderbf - the beak had a few of us stumped as we observed this Gull over at the East Pond at Jamaica Bay. Since the consensus is GBBG, I'll leave it at that. Thanks for the feedback.

bill colour is among the most variable features in immature gulls. we can't exclude however that this pic provides a wrong impression of an all dark bill. it could well be pale at base but the strong contrast isn't showing it.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back