• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ABA Big Year 2016 (1 Viewer)

Comparison as at 29th May:-

Olaf - 696 species
Code 1 - 483
Code 2 - 153
Code 3 - 36
Code 4 - 20
Code 5 - 3
Code 6 - 1

John - 559 species
Code 1 - 445
Code 2 - 140
Code 3 - 47
Code 4 - 21
Code 5 - 4
Code 6 - 1
Pending - 1

In addition to differences on Codes 1 & 2, John has on Olaf - sixteen Code 3's, three Code 4's, one Code 5 & one pending:-
Smew
Short-tailed Albatross
Hawaiian Petrel
White-tailed Tropicbird
Red-billed Tropicbird
Terek Sandpiper
Common Sandpiper
Gray-tailed Tattler
Long-toed Stint
Common Snipe
Slaty-backed Gull
Ruddy Ground-Dove
Eyebrowed Thrush
White Wagtail
Rustic Bunting
Brambling
Far Eastern Curlew
Yellow-legged Gull
Kelp Gull
Pin-tailed Snipe
Cuban Vireo

In addition to differences on Codes 1 & 2, Olaf has on John simply five Code 3's & two Code 4's:-
Trindade Petrel
Fea's Petrel
Great Skua
Rose-throated Becard
Red-throated Pipit
Plain-capped Starthroat
Slate-throated Redstart

An advantage of 14 Code 3 & above species.

All the best

My own analysis: Code 3+ that Olaf has good chances of missing, based on previous big years and my own interest in NA rare birds, but which John has:

Smew
Hawaiian Petrel
Terek Sandpiper
Common Sandpiper
Long-toed Stint
Pin-tailed Snipe
Cuban Vireo

Stuff that Olaf has that John may not be able to pick up:
Trindade Petrel
Fea's Petrel
Rose-throated Becard
Plain-capped Starthroat.

Even here I would guess that some of the stuff that is in the John list Olaf might still pick up, just not all of them. Same with the Olaf list. In John's case I would say none of those are absolutely impossible for him to get, while it seems unlikely for Olaf to nab Cuban Vireo and Pin-tailed Snipe.

Mysticete

Interestingly, John missed the Mottled Petrel seen by Christian.

I would like to analyse the Christian list but the full list is simply unavailable. Nevertheless suffice to say that circa 700 against circa 660 and 650 has never happened before at the end of May.

http://olafsbigyear.blogspot.co.uk/

http://www.birdingfordevils.com/p/this-is-listing-of-species-so-far.html?m=1

http://www.thebirdingproject.com/birdlist/

http://ebird.org/ebird/top100?locInfo.regionCode=aba&yr=cur

All the best

Last edited:
Mysticete

Interestingly, John missed the Mottled Petrel seen by Christian.

I would like to analyse the Christian list but the full list is simply unavailable.

All the best

Christian identified it from a photo he took of a bird he thought looked different. They certainly do look different (from short-tailed shears).

Cheers, a

Based on the shoot first - ask questions after, John (& I) both photographed Antarctic prion on an Eaglehawk pelagic. It looked subtly different from the abundant fairy prions and it was identified in detail later. He may still be checking shots from his recent trip.

I was astounded by the really high percentage of the species he saw in his Australian Big Year which he also managed to photograph. It will be interesting to see how he gets on this year.

I presume that Olaf must have seen the FE Curlew on the 29th too, even though it wasn't updated, or was he off looking for Short-eared Owls and having a nice meal with his daughter ... ?

Possibly not - depends on whether he had internet access to update once on Adak I suppose, a window of opportunity, and the bird was easy to connect with.

FE Curlew 'hung about long enough for the Attu crew to connect'; the Attu boat was due in the afternoon; the flight from the mainland (on which Olaf would have been?) arrived at c.6pm, and the Puk-uk left early evening.

Assuming Christian is not on the 5 day pelagic -

Latest update Common Redpoll (649 ish) http://ebird.org/ebird/top100?locInfo.regionCode=aba&yr=cur and posting updates indicates he has internet which the others don't.

Pictures of the Snipe are on the Tour Group's facebook page.

All the best

Any chance of a link?

I would like to analyse the Christian list but the full list is simply unavailable. Nevertheless suffice to say that circa 700 against circa 660 and 650 has never happened before at the end of May.

Can't see any 'contact' button on his blog. Seems that even in this technical age and with each doing a blog, their blogging/ebirding efforts are far from ideal. When Olaf's suggested $30,000 limit for a Competitive Big Year kicks in I'd suggest compulsory internet training and mandatory rules of public engagement are enforced for all contestants ... ;)

The Pine Flycatcher was refound by birders and appears to be building a nest. SO should hopefully linger around, maybe long enough for other big year birders to get it.

A recent facebook post by Christian suggested he was heading down to Arizona shortly. So at the least he should be able to get it.

I assume the tour folks (who are also running the pelagic) picked up folks from the airport and took them down. Unless it was really really out of the way I am sure they would have run new arrivals over to see the curlew. Adak is nowhere near as bad as Attu, but it's still a place that one generally does on a tour, not independently.

Besides Sun sets late in Alaska at this time of year. Their probably would have been plenty of light by the time Olaf came in to see the bird.

"Permission denied ...This blog is open to invited readers only"

Presumably a temporary glitch/upload thing, or are we just not exclusive enough? ;)

And now his list has been taken off line.................

Hopefully a temporary glitch as you say.

All the best

Last edited:
from the ABA rare birds Facebook page, Christian has seen the Pine Flycatcher, and will be pursuing the Aztec Thrush next

Multiple European Golden-Plovers reported from Newfoundland (I think?), a good year for them. Doubt they will linger long enough for Olaf or John to twitch them though.

from the ABA rare birds Facebook page, Christian has seen the Pine Flycatcher, and will be pursuing the Aztec Thrush next

Multiple European Golden-Plovers reported from Newfoundland (I think?), a good year for them. Doubt they will linger long enough for Olaf or John to twitch them though.

Interesting. Is he getting the bug to really go for it? If I had an accurate breakdown of his list, he might be a contender........

All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back