• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More from Cabo Rosa (1 Viewer)

Seems an immature Yellow Legged Gull to me.
Please note red spot in the bill, that would look "monster" at least on a canus Common Gull. Black on tail wouldnt reach up so far to the base in an 3cy Common Gull (its the plumage most similar to this bird here)
Eye is allready becoming pale, which is out of variation for an immature canus Common Gull according to the DB-paper (but not for the other ssp)

I cant see anything against the default species here, but I would like to learn if this is another of the large gull-species

edit; mistake in correct age-name

Last edited:
Thanks again

I was mislead by the colouring in the wing tips rather than thinking about the overall size. Actually Common Gull not that common although did have one adult through today...

Hello,

here is a similar looking 3cy Common Gull for comparison. It shows some features of ssp heinei (21.10.2018 NE-Germany).

I have nearly giving up getting comments here about this topic, but I give it another try: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=378244

edit: I add one more picture, showing two 3cy Common Gulls (26.01.2020 NE-Germany)

Attachments

• P5110012.jpg
    P5110012.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 12
  • P6640268.JPG
    P6640268.JPG
    267.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Agree with YLG, note also that as you say Common Gull is usually a scarcity in PT (especially further south). You'll probably see more Audouin's Gulls (which are regular) there than CG. Note it's Cabo Raso (meaning Flat Cape, as in the "ilhéu Raso" in Cape Verde, home of the thus called Raso Lark, and not Rosa meaning Rose or Pink ;) It's the trivia of the day. No skuas around?

No I was hoping for some and I thought the wind would be good today but it was calm!

I did see about 150 Corys Shearwaters on the sea not far off...

Attachments

• IMG_7267.jpg
    IMG_7267.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7256.jpg
    IMG_7256.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 11
The best timing there is usually the first 2 hours of light (still before sunrise), but sometimes you get good birds also at other times also (but lower numbers). And then, of course, late afternoon is not good as you get the sun in front of you.

I must admit I noticed the light today later in the day! Which is why I wandered along the coast a bit. 3 Swifts, I saw fairly close but without bins so pretty sure not Pallid, and a couple of late Swallows...

agree on 3cy YLG for the bird in the original post. why not pallid swifts? because they were dark? you'd need optimal backlight to see the brown colour in pallid.

I must admit I noticed the light today later in the day! Which is why I wandered along the coast a bit. 3 Swifts, I saw fairly close but without bins so pretty sure not Pallid, and a couple of late Swallows...
Yep, earlier in the morning, with the low sun right behind you, the birds are also beautifully lit against the darker sea. It makes for more pleasurable birding and more straightforward IDs. After those 2 hours birds tend to sit on the sea surface.

agree on 3cy YLG for the bird in the original post. why not pallid swifts? because they were dark? you'd need optimal backlight to see the brown colour in pallid.

I would have assumed Pallid at this time of year but they seemed very 'plain' (uniform) in colouration and yes dark...

I would have assumed Pallid at this time of year but they seemed very 'plain' (uniform) in colouration and yes dark...

Anythoughts on the other gulls Lou?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back