• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

November 2020 Canaries? (1 Viewer)

paulsullivan

As my Madagascar trip for mid November onwards is cancelled, I was considering the canary islands(or maybe Greece). Anyone know of anyone organising any trips?

Sounds good. I've never been to la Gomera but I found the pigeons easy in n. Tenerife. We did the ferry from there to gran canaria but only saw cory's. I've tried for the gran canaria Chaffinch several times without success. Of course, that also has robin, blue tit candidate species and it's about the only Island with good populations of (any) giant lizard

(I found the old thread about seabirds after I posted last time)

There are various threads about endemism in the various birds. Here's one:

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=189761

And the Wikipedia page on robin is quite good:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_robin

The gran canaria robin level of genetic divergence is quite high among passerines authorities consider to be species.

The gran canaria robin level of genetic divergence is quite high among passerines authorities consider to be species.

Surprisingly visually distinctive too. Whilst rare, the chaffinch isn't too difficult either.

The Canaries has to be one of the best places to bird in Europe, islands with very different habitats and offerings, good inter-island access, and always the chance of finding something good (Hawfinch and Spotted Crake for me two years ago but always felt the next bird could be the biggie).

Mike

Agree with that Mike. I think I have possibly found proportionally more scarce birds on the Canaries than I have in the UK bearing in mind the time spent birding there. Nothing mega but things like Eleonora's Falcon, Collared Pratincole, Pectoral Sandpiper twice, Spoonbill, Bittern, Ring-necked Duck.

Steve

Belted Kingfisher on Lanzarote today - just shows the sort of birds you could find on the islands.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back