• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

barmston pond (1 Viewer)

ian hamilton

mackem born and bred
has anyone visited barmston pond lately ? i used to visit it on a regular basis ,the last time i was there was a few months ago and i was very dissapointed at the state it was in with very few things to be seen

Barmston Pond is still the same it used to a great place for seeing waders and other birds.If the water level was managed properly in the spring and autumm that would make a big difference.I think Barmston pond is managed by the Sunderland council and they haven't got a clue on how to managed a wildlife area.

Barmston Pond is still the same it used to a great place for seeing waders and other birds.If the water level was managed properly in the spring and autumm that would make a big difference.I think Barmston pond is managed by the Sunderland council and they haven't got a clue on how to managed a wildlife area.

totaly agree,it needs someone like a wildlife organisation to manage the site who know how to manage it for wildlife.with the council running it im afraid nothing will ever change.

I was there a few weeks ago but it was very poor, as Martin said it used to be good i remember seeing many waders there.

...I think Barmston pond is managed by the Sunderland council and they haven't got a clue on how to managed a wildlife area.

Have you told Sunderland Council what you think? Unless people actually contact the council to make suggestions/pass comment on management of the site, they're not going to know how people feel.

Here are a couple of links with relevant contacts:
http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2838
http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=764&contactid=2691

Mark

Have you told Sunderland Council what you think? Unless people actually contact the council to make suggestions/pass comment on management of the site, they're not going to know how people feel.

Here are a couple of links with relevant contacts:
http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2838
http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=764&contactid=2691

Mark
Hi Mark i think i will send email to the council about Barmston pond see what they have to say about it.Barmston could be a very good wildlife place if it was managed properly.

Hi Mark i think i will send email to the council about Barmston pond see what they have to say about it.Barmston could be a very good wildlife place if it was managed properly.

hi martin
i did send a email last year to the countryside team on the council who's job it is to manage barmston pond and explained to them the state the area was getting but i recieved no responce from them at all,which was very dissapointing,and i totally agree it could be excellent place for waders and other birds if managed the correct way.i suppose if enough people contact the council and complain they might just take some action.

hi martin
i did send a email last year to the countryside team on the council who's job it is to manage barmston pond and explained to them the state the area was getting but i recieved no responce from them at all,which was very dissapointing,and i totally agree it could be excellent place for waders and other birds if managed the correct way.i suppose if enough people contact the council and complain they might just take some action.
Hi Ian i have just sent a email off i hope i get a responce from them.Might be a good idea to try and get other birdwatchers to contact the council.

i was there a couple of weeks ago,someones cleared litter.
does anyone go to willow pond ? just past cape.

Attachments

• P1030525.jpg
    P1030525.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 300
  • P1030551.jpg
    P1030551.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 329
Boldon flats

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Theres been lots of talk of late about trying to get better management of the flats so i got in contact with John Brown today.

John for those who don,t know has been one of the blokes for years who has managed the site when its been handed over for flooding.

Heres a brief run down with the flood issue

Owned by the Church-
Leased out to a farmer-
Then sub-letted, mainly council funded to the tune of thousands ...so it can be flooded for a few months of the year.
(Ive heard the councils budget this comming year might not allow the funding.)

Back to John..

He also has done a great deal of work with other local sites including -Barmston,Whitburn cp., West hall..etc. and has good connections with the NT.
He traps moths from Souter and is a ringer, he,s the man who does nearly all of the Petrel ringing along our coast.

So back on track....I feel we cannot even try to deal with the issues of either site without involving John which he will be willing to be involved in.

Many of us feel its got to be organised venture this time involving all local groups, and national orgs. most of all public support.

A meeting can be arranged with John and other parties involved at Souter as he has mentioned today, this depends on numbers....so who,s up for it?

Show your support have your say

had a walk to bamston pond thursday.
not much on the water...not much water, roots of the trees showing.
2 mute swans no cygnets 30+ coots mallard and afew teal.
i think its the first time iv been there and not seen a tuffty.
small pool almost dry and full of weed 1 moorhen.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 297
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 328
had a walk there wednesday, looks like its been tidied up not much rubbish.

Attachments

• barmston 0230.jpg
    barmston 0230.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 341
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back