• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID bird of prey/Berlin Germany (1 Viewer)

And I repeat, even if this is proven that the bird you refer is an Eurasian Sparrowhawk, it is not a reason to confuse someone who might want to learn and destroy the basic identification feature, such Accipiter in Europe with stripes is a young goshawk.

If you disagree, you have to make a comment to all posts sharing identification and say "except in albino", "except in melanistic", "except in an atypical individual seen once 68 years ago", etc. Good luck.

If you knew there were exceptions then you should have said 'nearly always' instead of 'always'. If you didn't know, then you have learnt something.

This is my last post on this matter. I see no point in pursuing this further with someone who won't admit that their original statement was inaccurate.

Brett

As Forsman also mentioned in response to the Scilly hawk, it is not that exceptional to see juv. Eurasian Sparrowhawks with fairly extensive streaking on underparts.

I attach one that I photographed in Armenia on 9 Oct 2013.
Its breast and belly are streaked; barring is restricted to the lower flanks.

Attachments

• EurasianSparrowhawk_juv_Armenia_20131009_003.JPG
    EurasianSparrowhawk_juv_Armenia_20131009_003.JPG
    807 KB · Views: 85
As Forsman also mentioned in response to the Scilly hawk, it is not that exceptional to see juv. Eurasian Sparrowhawks with fairly extensive streaking on underparts.

I attach one that I photographed in Armenia on 9 Oct 2013.
Its breast and belly are streaked; barring is restricted to the lower flanks.

Very interesting bird. The barring of the remiges is also unusually fine and thus it resembles Shikra...

Perhaps so, but the differences from juv. Shikra are still quite clear:
different wing formula (6 instead of 5 fingers), different tail pattern, different head pattern, barred axillaries.

Some more examples of lightly marked juvenile Eurasian Sparrowhawks:

three from the Netherlands:
https://waarneming.nl/foto/view/14884636
https://waarneming.nl/foto/view/15679999
https://waarneming.nl/foto/view/15412897

one from UK:
http://shropshirebirder.co.uk/gallery/Sparrowhawk Carmarthen 10 1 09 IMG_9077.jpg

And perhaps the most extreme bird (in attachment), photographed at Falsterbo, Sweden, on 5 Oct 2009 by Wouter Faveyts.

Attachments

• 5okt2009-21.jpg
    5okt2009-21.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 49
Agree that the streaking on the UPPERbreast is not unusual (as even Tom Jones would proclaim) for JUVENILE Sparrowhawks, particularly males often show such markings.

From handling hundreds of Sparrowhawks throughout 37 years as a taxidermist, this feature is well known.
All Sparrowhawks have some barring on the underparts, however.

So the difference between A. nisus and juvenile A. gentilis as regards this feature is still as valid as ever.

PS:
A much more rare occurrence is that of a particularly dark juvenile type of Sparrowhawk.
The ground colour of the underparts then approaching that of a juvenile Montagus Harrier.
This variation is - again - mostly seen in males. My estimate is that I've seen 6-8 such "dusky" ones (of which just one or two were females).

Peter

Last edited:
If you knew there were exceptions then you should have said 'nearly always' instead of 'always'. If you didn't know, then you have learnt something.

This is my last post on this matter. I see no point in pursuing this further with someone who won't admit that their original statement was inaccurate.

Brett

I saw no point of your comment since the start; we keep on identifying juvenile Goshawk thanks to striped breast against Sparrowhawk, in Europe. Living World is not following the rules of our categories, they are always possible exception on everything.

Agree that the streaking on the UPPERbreast is not unusual (as even Tom Jones would proclaim) for JUVENILE Sparrowhawks, particularly males often show such markings.

From handling hundreds of Sparrowhawks throughout 37 years as a taxidermist, this feature is well known.
All Sparrowhawks have some barring on the underparts, however.

So the difference between A. nisus and juvenile A. gentilis as regards this feature is still as valid as ever.

PS:
A much more rare occurrence is that of a particularly dark juvenile type of Sparrowhawk.
The ground colour of the underparts then approaching that of a juvenile Montagus Harrier.
This variation is - again - mostly seen in males. My estimate is that I've seen 6-8 such "dusky" ones (of which just one or two were females).

Peter

Yes, and birds shown by Smith are not exceptions on that point indeed. They are not usual, but still very identifiable.

What a mess out of nothing! For the OP, you can just skip most of the comments, your bird is nicely striped, not barred below (or mixed barred / striped giving dirty spotted aspect), and this is giving you a Goshawk. Basta.

Yes, and birds shown by Smith are not exceptions on that point indeed. They are not usual, but still very identifiable.

What a mess out of nothing! For the OP, you can just skip most of the comments, your bird is nicely striped, not barred below (or mixed barred / striped giving dirty spotted aspect), and this is giving you a Goshawk. Basta.

Would you please give it a rest!

On the subject of Accipters, if anyone can answer (FWIW Imm.A.gentilis for me), can immature/2nd calendar year A.gentilis show any hint of warmth, orange tint to the underwing coverts and breast...a serious question?

Cheers

On the subject of Accipters, if anyone can answer (FWIW Imm.A.gentilis for me), can immature/2nd calendar year A.gentilis show any hint of warmth, orange tint to the underwing coverts and breast...a serious question?

Cheers

They can !

They can !

Thanks Valery, this clears up some of my personal observations from the past. It surprises me that this is not described in Europe's leading field guide...Collins?
I think perhaps a serious "omission" on their part, as I've on occasion seen distant raptors that "seemed" to look larger than A.nissus, appearing to show as such, leading me to default to the commoner species!....I suppose the "get out of jail card" is the operative word "guide".:-C

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back