• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waxworms (1 Viewer)

Clive Watson

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit ampheta
I notice that several bird food suppliers supply waxworms in addition to, or as an alternative to mealworms.

Why? What are the advantages of waxworms, does anyone use them, and what particular species could they be used to attract?

I notice that several bird food suppliers supply waxworms in addition to, or as an alternative to mealworms.

Why? What are the advantages of waxworms, does anyone use them, and what particular species could they be used to attract?

Waxworms are the larvae of the wax moth. They have a very high fat content and, unlike mealworms, are not covered in chitin. As such I expect that many birds would like them. However, on the negative side, they are much more expensive than mealworms.
Don't know exactly which birds they would attract..... although my lizards (especially the chameleons) love them!
HTH

Nick

Last edited:
That's pretty much answered my questions about why waxworms are offered for sale but I'd still be interested in hearing peoples' personal experiences, particularly compared to mealworms. Anyone use them?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back