• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New released Swaro CL Companion 8x30 B (1 Viewer)

sbb, post 11,
It is funny that you complain about the size of the binocular bag. Not long ago, Swarovski supplied the best (my opinion) bags one could dream of, they fitted like an envelope around the binocular, but I heard that consumers did not like these bags since they were too sober or whatever term you can think of.
I still use them every day and they hardly take space in the backpack, so ideal for hiking and protection. Pity such a consumer influence to the worst (my opinion of course, not shared by everybody I am sure).
Gijs van Ginkel

Hi GVG, which model was that for? Well I suspect it depends on which model you get, as one of my Swarovski bags has marked inside it SLC-42 and also EL-32. Defiantly way to big for EL32
Alex

Well, had the chance to look trough the 8 and 10x this afternoon and I must say these are Swarovski worthy optics.
Swaro, congrets. Very well done.

By widening the incoming lightray they managed to inplant an "optical box" which causes no blackouts at the eyecups side. I say it wrong, but it results in a eye relief to 21mm. I know it is 16 but one can get closer or further away from the eye lens without experiencing blackouts.

The dioptersetting is well hidden in the focusknob, like the SLC used to have, but now much more elegant.

Swaro has brought a masterpiece, but....... with this piece of device, do I still need a 25 or even a 32SV?

For me the answer is No. Where the former Companion IMHO was not a Swarovski worthy piece of optics, this little jewel is from another planet.

Jan

Well, had the chance to look trough the 8 and 10x this afternoon and I must say these are Swarovski worthy optics.

By widening the incoming lightray they managed to inplant an "optical box" which causes no blackouts at the eyecups side. I say it wrong, but it results in a eye relief to 21mm. I know it is 16 but one can get closer or further away from the eye lens without experiencing blackouts.

The dioptersetting is well hidden in the focusknob, like the SLC used to have, but now much more elegant.

Swaro has brought a masterpiece, but....... with this piece of device, do I still need a 25 or even a 32SV?

For me the answer is No. Where the former Companion IMHO was not a Swarovski worthy piece of optics, this little jewel is from another planet.

Jan

Thanks for that report Jan, sounds very interesting, especially if it could substitute for a 32mm SV.

Jan

Darn it...why did you have to go and let us know how good it is. Now I want one :) Thanks for the report Jan.

Jan

Jan better than the 32x8 SV?

Jan better than the 32x8 SV?

Hi SBB,

No, this one is not better than the 8x32SV, but compared to what is puts on the table it's a winner for me.
In carrying it beats both the CL25 and SV32. It is optical superior to the 25. Considering price and performance it beats the S... out of both. Do you need the extra meters FOV and edgesharpness, the SV is your destiny but only in the 42 configuration because of the extra dusk and dawn advantage.
This little gem is gonna take a lot of trade away from the CL25 and SV32 and much more from the competition.
Work for Zeiss, Leica, Kowa and Meopta.
IMHO this CL is the EL from 1999. It will fill the landscape.

Jan

Hi SBB,

No, this one is not better than the 8x32SV, but compared to what is puts on the table it's a winner for me.
In carrying it beats both the CL25 and SV32. It is optical superior to the 25. Considering price and performance it beats the S... out of both. Do you need the extra meters FOV and edgesharpness, the SV is your destiny but only in the 42 configuration because of the extra dusk and dawn advantage.
This little gem is gonna take a lot of trade away from the CL25 and SV32 and much more from the competition.
Work for Zeiss, Leica, Kowa and Meopta.
IMHO this CL is the EL from 1999. It will fill the landscape.

Jan

But do you like it?

Lee

Oh gosh. Now I'm going to want one!

Hey I know-I'll say it's for my WIFE! Yeah...that's the ticket... It would be a step up from her only bin (a Leupold 6x32 Katmai) but still small for her hands. Yeah... ! :t:

Jan-do the Field Pro sockets on the side not interfere with a smooth comfortable grip though? They LOOK like they would but I'm picky sometimes.

Oh gosh. Now I'm going to want one!

Hey I know-I'll say it's for my WIFE! Yeah...that's the ticket... It would be a step up from her only bin (a Leupold 6x32 Katmai) but still small for her hands. Yeah... ! :t:

Jan-do the Field Pro sockets on the side not interfere with a smooth comfortable grip though? They LOOK like they would but I'm picky sometimes.

David,

The palms of your hands don't reach that area. They are below that point because of the grip.

Jan

The bin does look a little longer (than the previous CL) in those photos of people holding it.
But, it looks very nice in those photos.

*sigh* Swarovski...I'm not supposed to consider any new binos.
CL was my 2nd fav bino I've owned. '
This new one has more ER and better specs and optics according to our first review. This is just too tempting. :-C

Never expected the CL to be upgraded.

I made a promise to myself to keep it simple and have just 2 nice binos which I have now. ugh.

We've put the CL25 Mountain next to the new CL30 (in the same color) and imagined the 32SV and 42SV in the same color and came to the conclusion that it (hopefully) will be a matter of time they will come up in this color.

Yes, I like it a lot8-P

M
Come on, Jan, you know this model is just another stepping stone to the 10X50 SV. B :)

I made a promise to myself to keep it simple and have just 2 nice binos which I have now. ugh.

Doing much the same. Spent the first seven months of the year cutting back, tossing, sending to the goodwill, craigslist for sale, and just giving away. It has been a noticeable improvement but don't think many would realize. Took the last two months off... needed the break from always trying to find something to part with. Now that winter is closing in I'll soon be back to it. I do allow trading off large bits of clutter to allow for small bits of clutter. It is still moving in the desired direction....

CG

Doing much the same. Spent the first seven months of the year cutting back, tossing, sending to the goodwill, craigslist for sale, and just giving away. It has been a noticeable improvement but don't think many would realize. Took the last two months off... needed the break from always trying to find something to part with. Now that winter is closing in I'll soon be back to it. I do allow trading off large bits of clutter to allow for small bits of clutter. It is still moving in the desired direction....

CG

I did the same over these past two years. I sold a good amount of stuff on eBay, consigned some items , donated, recycled, sent some to the dumpster and gave stuff away to friends.
Now I'm at a point where I feel pretty content having my living space de-cluttered...it feels good. I moved so much stuff I guess it's not so bad buying something small I would really enjoy. I'll never go back to having as much as I did. I really like having less clutter and unnecessary stuff - keeping it simple.
I'll only buy things that I need or enrich my life in some way.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back