• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mongolia (driving from UK and back) (1 Viewer)

sizzlor108

Mark Wood
I'm have been planning this trip for many years but hope to go through with it in the Spring of 2019.

A 3 month+ journey by 4x4 from Fife in Scotland to Mongolia and back again. I will be trying to pick up as many of the regional specialties as possible like White winged and Black Larks, Demoiselle, White naped and maybe Siberian Cranes, Saker Falcon, Steppe Eagle, Henderson's Ground Jay, Black billed Capercaillie, Sauxal Sparrow, Kozlov's Accentor Yellow eyed Pigeon, Yellow breasted Bunting, Ibisbill and Relict Gull plus many, many more.....Hopefully.

My intended route will be down the length of the UK, across the channel, across Europe, hopefully cross into Russia via Ukraine (non war border) down to Stalingrad and into Kazakhstan, spending around three weeks of May there before entering Russia again to make the hop into Mongolia. First three weeks of June in Mongolia before heading North to Lake Baikal at the beginning of July, travelling back across Russia, possibly via Moscow and St Petersburg before re-entering the Baltic states then back into the UK either at Calais or Zeebrugge at sometime near the end of July/beginning of August.

Journey will probably be made in a Toyaota Landcruiser or similar 4x4.

Im looking for one possibly two keen birders to join me. Its a long trip so therefore quite a commitment but people wanting to skip some of the driving could fly to Kazakhstan and I could pick them up possibly.

Anyone game ?

Mark

Hi Mark
My wife and I did similar trip 4 years ago in a Toyota 4Runner and slept inside the truck. When we got to Mongolia we carried on east exiting in the northeast of Mongolia and heading to Magadan returning the full width of Russia and out via Latvia the same way we went in. It was a great trip with no real problems. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Sounds like an amazing trip, I hope you'll consider writing a report, logistics, sites, guides if used anywhere rather than just a bird list?

A

Hi Mark
My wife and I did similar trip 4 years ago in a Toyota 4Runner and slept inside the truck. When we got to Mongolia we carried on east exiting in the northeast of Mongolia and heading to Magadan returning the full width of Russia and out via Latvia the same way we went in. It was a great trip with no real problems. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Great thanks. I may indeed message you in due coarse.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back