• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Virus (1 Viewer)

christineredgate

Winner of the Copeland Wildlife Photographer of th
I have just received this e-mail from a friend.He is genuine(ret Liverpool mounted and dog handling section) so thought would pass it on.Anyone who is on my e-mailing list may have already received it in the form of an attachment as I could not work out how to forward it to all.
Christine
Edit,I was advised by my computer not to open it,but in brief,if you receive an e-mail titled "It takes Guts to say Jesus",do not open it

I have removed the attchment.
Christine.

Last edited:
Christine, this is a hoax. All messages like this are hoaxes. They commonly purport to come from IBM, Microsoft or some such reputable organisation and to wipe your hard drive. Many people regard them as a form of virus (though they are harmless and only take up bandwidth in downloading them). Best thing is to delete them and on no account forward them on to others.

See: http://www.stiller.com/guts.htm

Jason

Last edited:
Bluetail said:
Christine, this is a hoax. All messages like this are hoaxes. They commonly purport to come from IBM, Microsoft or some such reputable organisation and to wipe your hard drive. Many people regard them as a form of virus (though they are harmless and only take up bandwidth in downloading them). Best thing is to delete them and on no account forward them on to others.

Jason
Oh,dear,I thought in view of all the hype there has been re viruses it was genuine.As it was sent as an attachment people will not open it then.Thanks,Jason,I thought I would be doing everyone a favour,as I do know the person who sent it to me.
Christine.
Sorry,everyone

christineredgat said:
Oh,dear,I thought in view of all the hype there has been re viruses it was genuine.As it was sent as an attachment people will not open it then.Thanks,Jason,I thought I would be doing everyone a favour,as I do know the person who sent it to me.
Christine.
Sorry,everyone
Hi Christine,
Though it's thoughtful and well intentioned to warn others, it's not a good idea and only perpetuates the problem and gives satisfaction to those who start them. Best to let people's own anti-virus software detect the viruses. I get quite a few of these warnings and it's not big problem to me but I'm sure it will annoy some in your address book. Don't worry though, plenty of people have done the same as yourself and learn from it.
Regards,
Andy

I cant believe you actually put the attachment up on our site ? 3:) Im gonna dine out on this one for weeks!!! B :)

Steve said:
I cant believe you actually put the attachment up on our site ? 3:) Im gonna dine out on this one for weeks!!! B :)
Steve,I rely absolutely on the integrity of our Moderators, :brains: and if there had been anything amiss,they would have prevented it from being accepted.
Having said that,I should have put it on the Forum,before sending it to everyone in my address book,I may be receiving some pretty acidic replies tommorrow.
A mistake I will not repeat.If I had not have known the sender,I would have ignored the thing.
Christine

christine unlike other sites your posts are live, we do not approve posts, they go up when you click "post reply"
So it is Accepted on its own? nothing to do with the Moderators! you should never send anything to anyone in your address book that has an attachment in it, its a sure fire way of finding you have the smallest address book in the world the next day !!!

Anyway dont worry Im sure your friends will just bin it, so no harm done.

Ps can you make sure im not in your address book, B :)

Ta

Steve said:
christine unlike other sites your posts are live, we do not approve posts, they go up when you click "post reply"
So it is Accepted on its own? nothing to do with the Moderators! you should never send anything to anyone in your address book that has an attachment in it, its a sure fire way of finding you have the smallest address book in the world the next day !!!

Anyway dont worry Im sure your friends will just bin it, so no harm done.

Ps can you make sure im not in your address book, B :)

Ta
No,Steve,I did not realise our posts are "live".I thought they were vetted ,ie the first one of the thread.The e-mail I was sent was not sent as an attachment,it was forwarded to me.If it had been an attachment ,I would have binned it straight away.But,because,I could not work out how to send "to all",I had to copy and paste the message,and then it had to be sent as an attachment,very complicated,but when I came to check it on this thread,Norton advised me not to open it,must admit it was rather a large file.
Yes,I have sent an apology "to all",and no only the very priveleged few are in my address book.
Having said that Steve,half of the peolple in the book,I really am not sure who they are,so there may be a few surprised faces in the morning.
But thankyou everyone,I assure you,I will not be making the same mistake. It's a good job BF wasn't annihilated,!!:eek!:
I am truly sorry for putting the Forum at risk,please accept my apologies:flowers:

Christine

christineredgat said:
half of the peolple in the book,I really am not sure who they are,so there may be a few surprised faces in the morning.
Comet customer services for one, let's hope your fridge keeps working ;)

Andy Bright said:
Comet customer services for one, let's hope your fridge keeps working ;)
Andy,how did you know that, :h?: t is a freezer,in actual fact,bought approx 3-4wks ago,either Big Brother is watching,or I have mixed up my messages somewhere along the line.
Now I am really nervous:eek!: .
Christine

Christine, there is no need to apologise, you could not have put BF at risk, it is very well protected. however count yourself fortunate that the anti rogue attachment anti missiles we have, did not target your computer, I managed to stop them But only just !! the countdown from 10 was on 3 when I hit the abort button, it would of been very messy, The first thing you would of noticed is a strange smell,sort of burning electrical smell, Next your keyboard would become jumbled up all the letters would re arrange themselves, lastly but most horrid your monitor would of melted away to just a dark smudge.

Please give your PC a quick sniff as a precaution, better safe than sorry, let me know ASAP

Thks
Steve

christineredgat said:
Andy,how did you know that, :h?: t is a freezer,in actual fact,bought approx 3-4wks ago,either Big Brother is watching,or I have mixed up my messages somewhere along the line.
Now I am really nervous:eek!: .
Christine
Don't worry just a guess...I always think of Comet as the fridge place.

A scary,accurate guess Andy.

Steve,would have been good for an Insurance claim,and a new PC.Maybe one with lavender oil burners attached to the side/back!!.
Christine

If anyone is ever unsure about emails claiming to be viruses, just check the subject out on THIS SITE before sending out to your address book.

Christine, if you're unsure about many of the names in your email Address Book, then you must have the setting ticked where you have elected to add everyone to the address book that you reply to. This can be turned off, otherwise you will have a very large address book filled with people you don't know and may never have cause to email again.

Go to Tools > Options >Send tab and untick the box that says 'automatically put people I reply to in my address book.'

Diane,thanks,I have been on to the site,and yes,this particular hoax is mentioned.Normally I would never forward anything of that nature,but because I know the sender,and also the guy who sent it to him,(he fixes ccomputers) but lives abroad,Australia,I think,I thought it was very real.Never ,again.
Yes,I will amend the address book..
Thankyou again for your help,
Christine.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back