• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

London Camera Exchange (1 Viewer)

Egret

I bought a second-hand Olympus E-620 from LCE. A couple of weeks later the screen failed. I returned it to LCE and they offered a refund or to wait while Olympus had a look at it. I opted for the latter. Sadly, it was not an economic repair. So, now I have my refund - including postage; disappointed? Yes and no. Obviously, I would like to still have the camera but LCE could not have been more helpful. Also, I nearly paid more on Ebay for a camera with no warranty. Might have been in the same place without support.

Now, do I stick with 4/3rds or flog the E-400 and buy a Canon with a bigger sensor?

Andy

No easy answers here.

Screen failure seems to be very rare on all makes. I have had 2 E-620 pretty much since they came out with no problem.

The E-400 is not the most obvious modern birding camera as it has no IS, however, that never got in the way of things a few years ago.

A lot depends on what lenses you already have and your budget, as I can see you will possibly get a number of genuinely well meaning suggestions from users of other makes that could end up being a bit expensive if you need to restock with lenses.

For wildlife I use a number of 4/3 and m4/3 bodies and lenses because their use to me is intuitive and therefore fast to use (and I already have them). I do use APSC sensor cameras in Fuji and Nikon but not really for wildlife. My choice - plenty would disagree.

To be honest most of the used E-620s for sale currently seem to be priced far far higher than is reasonable considering that they are older technology and you could buy a brand new starter Nikon or Canon slr for less.

"To be honest most of the used E-620s for sale currently seem to be priced far far higher than is reasonable considering that they are older technology and you could buy a brand new starter Nikon or Canon slr for less."

Problem is that I like the 4/3rds; with my 600mm equivalent zoom on it is a, relatively, small easy to carry package. That was why I went that route. However, at the time I thought Olympus would further develop the format; now it feels like a dead end - just like Olympus ! That said, in decent light (not Scotland in January) my photography is limited by my ability - not the equipment.

Maybe I would be better paying for photography classes rather than hankering after technology.

Unfortunately I think that there are a fair number of people like you, hence the high prices. One possible alternative is to look out for an E-520/510 - slightly older technology than the E-620, but with bigger battery, better grip and image stabilisation. Otherwise you sometimes have folks selling E-620s on Amazon, though dealer prices are a bit silly. For instance there is a used E-520 on Wex for £110, however, it sounds badly used and probably best avoided. Don't buy an E-500 by mistake.

The trouble with some classes is that everyone is using more modern kit leaving you feeling even more frustrated.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back