• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Superzoom? (1 Viewer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBRLalGGEW8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CPkApQdNAY

one is in the field by hand from a good distance while the other is through a window screen less than two feet away on a tripod. I tried the SX50 and I had the Sony HX300 for awhile. Once you get over the quirky focus in the Sony it simply is a better camera with video/sound and Pictures..

Then again next year there will be another new contender.
That second video is excellent:t:

Rich

Was sat next to a gent this week who had a HS30. On spotting a male Peregrine on the ground we both took a couple of shots. Peregrine was c100m away though I'm useless at guessing distances.

The SX50 was significantly better in what was no way a scientific test. He did say how much he liked the manual zoom of the HS30 however and was considering a HS50.

I also mentioned the new Panny that Rosbifs has ordered which he wasn't aware of. As previously he'd had a FZ series Panny he was going to take a look at this model as well.

Rich

Last edited:
hi guys, i have the nikon d3100 with a sigma 150-500 lens, trouble is I am out early in the mornings so I need something with a wider aperture mainly birds in flight buzzards, kites etc. I thought the panny with the 2.8 ap would be the ideal camera for my needs. I dont usually end up close to them prefer viewing at a distance. I was going to invest in a faster lens but cost is a factor. The question is now which bridge cam to go for. I put in a shot taken with the sigma lens at full zoom and heavily cropped

Attachments

• at last-3.jpg
    at last-3.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 153
hi guys, i have the nikon d3100 with a sigma 150-500 lens, trouble is I am out early in the mornings so I need something with a wider aperture mainly birds in flight buzzards, kites etc. I thought the panny with the 2.8 ap would be the ideal camera for my needs. I dont usually end up close to them prefer viewing at a distance. I was going to invest in a faster lens but cost is a factor. The question is now which bridge cam to go for. I put in a shot taken with the sigma lens at full zoom and heavily cropped

Hi Paul. I'm not sure if I can provide any help as there doesn't appear to be that many BIF photos from Superzooms. Brian in post 10 used a Panny with decent results. Perhaps others can chip in.

Not sure where you are in South Wales but I'm often in Penclacwydd on Wednesdays. You're welcome to take a look at my SX50 there.

Rich

Last edited:

Think you'd probably be better off sticking with your DSLR for low light BIF if image quality is your primary concern. Superzooms can't compare with DSLRs when it comes to fast focusing and continuous auto focus, and their small sensors aren't very good at dealing with low light. The constant aperture of the FZ200 makes it the most attractive superzoom for low light, but the small sensor cancels out that advantage vs. a DSLR.

Last edited:
I'm very happy with the new Panny (fz72). It's a marked inprovement on the fz28 as it is faster - soooo fast in comparison and I can even take a picture of a flying bird!

I think you have to ask yourself what you want from a camera. I want record shots mainly - if you want more you will need a DSLR. Then there may be a weight issue, oarticularly, if you have to walk a lot or choose to walk a lot. The panny with the digital zoom has an equivalent of a 6,000mm lens - thats is a hell of a reach even if the quality is sacrificed at the upper end. As I said 'record' shots are perfectily adequate.

Hmmm, the photos I take are just for my pleasure and as a record of the day so stuck a bit now lol. I did see a sigma 2.8 at about £600 but that was only 200mm the 300 jumps up to nearly 2 grand. I could get a teleconverter that would increase the zoom but I would lose a stop and take it to f4 but thats still better than f6.3. hard one

Just for fun but it highlights how good these little cameras are for ID purposes. Spot the Peregrine. The view is out of the hide in Penclacwydd. It's nigh on impossible. I struggle and I know where it is:eek!:

Attachments

• IMG_2855.JPG
    IMG_2855.JPG
    320.5 KB · Views: 165
Actually, I think it is impossible - apologies. I'll post the full zoom with 1.5 tc shot in the morning when I fire up the laptop. For information, it's on the pole that's pretty much in the centre of the picture but very distant.

Rich

And here it is. Coincidentally I was there this morning pointing it out to a couple. They hadn't noticed it as at distance it's very easy to overlook.

Attachments

• IMG_2851.JPG
    IMG_2851.JPG
    245.1 KB · Views: 152
Had a quick go at BIF last week. I should have had a practice before hand to try out some different settings:smoke:

Attachments

• IMG_3019.JPG
    IMG_3019.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_3009.JPG
    IMG_3009.JPG
    434 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_3011.JPG
    IMG_3011.JPG
    613.4 KB · Views: 134
Another issue (apart from being completely incompetent) was too many subjects:-O

Attachments

• IMG_3028.JPG
    IMG_3028.JPG
    275.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3027.JPG
    IMG_3027.JPG
    269.7 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_2995.JPG
    IMG_2995.JPG
    303.3 KB · Views: 84
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back