• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from the lofty peaks of the Rockies (1 Viewer)

Raptor

Hello, I am so glad to find this site, I use to use the Yahoo groups digiscopingbirds site but it does not seem to be around any more. This site is MUCH more extensive, I do recognize some of the names from that site. I live in the Canadian Rockies in Southern Alberta. I am a keen birder who has taken up digiscoping a year ago and loving it and all of its challenges. I also am a principle observer with RMERF ( Rocky Mountain Eagle Research Foundation ) www.eaglewatch.ca. I am looking forward to going through this whole site and conversing with fellow birders and digiscopers, Raptor.

Leica APO77, CP4500, Gitzo 1329, Cheang Adaptor.

Hello Raptor,
Welcome to the Bird Forums! I'm sure you'll be glad you joined. How do you like being a part of the RMERF?

Michael

Raptor,

On behalf of admin and fellow moderators welcome to Bird Forum, we a just one big hapy family here, i warn you now this is going to be very adictive, enjoy reading and posting, and if we can be of any help, please just ask.

Hello Michael, being a part of RMERF is very gratifing as it gets me out into the field for a full day of birding, as we do record all species that come through the site area, our main subject is the Golden Eagle, we try and log every raptor with age, time, flight characteristics, given that, it does take a bit of practice as these birds are extremely high, moving fast, it is gratifing when you know for sure a certain eagle is a subadult GOEG that is 3000 ft above and moving 100 kmh. Being in Spokane you are not that far from us and you are most welcome to come and enjoy the splendor for your self. Raptor.

Hi Raptor,

Have you been able to work out the full migration line of these birds yet?

In particular, are these the same birds that are being killed in large numbers by wind turbines in California?

Michael

Raptor, is your group associated at all with HMANA -- Hawk Migration Association of North America? I get their BIRDHAWK postings reporting migration (and my inbox is starting to fill up daily now!), but it covered mostly the eastern US and Canada. It would be so interesting to read more about migration patterns in the west. While their primary interest is hawks, observers do count the eagles as well.

Hi Raptor, welcome to BirdForum!
I know how exciting in it can be watching eagles soaring high and fast. I was part of a Hawk watch in New Jersey, Merrill Creek. We were lucky to have a few golden eagles every year mixed in with our bald eagles.
Now thats something to watch, two magnificent eagle species riding the thermals. Even more so when attacked by the smaller raptors. No respect!

Hello Michael, approx. 6000 of these goldens make the trip from Texas, New Mexico, Phoenix, Utah, Colorado and Northern Mexico following the frontal range of the Rockies to Alaska and the Yukon to the nesting grounds, satellite telemetry of birds originating in Denali National Park in Alaska ( conducted bythe US dept. of the Interior ) has finally proven the long distance nature of the migration. So I would suppose that some of these birds might indeed be wintering in some parts of eastern California, we are just getting geared up to start our fall count and I will investigate this matter with our founding member Peter Sherrington, how many birds are we talking about here? Raptor.

Hello Beverly, yes we submit all our data to HAMNA, Peter Sherrington ( Our founding member and the person who actually discovered this particular migration ) is responsible for writing the spring and fall report for the Western Continental Flyway, check our website www.eaglewatch.ca , Raptor.

Hi Raptor,

According to info posted to Surfbirdnews, around 60 Golden Eagles killed every year at Altamount - sorry, I don't know where in CA Altamount is.

Michael

Michael, I'll have to an eye out for your reports on BIRDHAWK, then!

And if you'll be counting on any of the days of the GGBC 2 in October, we'd love to have a report from you. Other than Washington State, the western US is not well represented yet.

Full details on GGBC 2 can be found on the Member's Notice Board.

Hi Raptor, Glad to have you on this board. Being a Falconer, raptors are my all time favorite birds. I think they are the most beautiful creatures created. I visited the eagle watch webpage and found the research to be very interesting. It sounds like a wonderful job that you have and watching those birds has to be just fantastic. Look forward to your posts.

All in Good Medicine
Kenlaugh Lewis
Raleigh NC USA

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back