• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptors (Vultures?) Grenoble, France (1 Viewer)

davidjc2

ID please, if possible.
A group of 5 of these seen over the Bastille in Grenoble in August.
Apologies for picture quality, opportunist shot at range with a compact camera.
I'm guessing Griffon Vulture, because of the group.

Attachments

• g 11.jpg
    g 11.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 78
  • g12.jpg
    g12.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 52
  • g13.jpg
    g13.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 66
  • g14.jpg
    g14.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 63
  • g15.jpg
    g15.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 71
Thanks,
They were quite close before we got the camera out and looked much bigger than kites, must have been mistaken. We did see Griffons a week later nearby in the Vercors mountains and thought they looked similar.

It looks like at least one is red kite...
Well, pics 2-5 are a bit too blurry for me to be certain of anything, other than that they are moulting kites. But the first one looks like a typical Black Kite IMO.

Thanks,
They were quite close before we got the camera out and looked much bigger than kites, must have been mistaken. We did see Griffons a week later nearby in the Vercors mountains and thought they looked similar.
Size can be difficult to gauge sometimes. But there are other useful cues, such as comparing the length of the tail to the breadth of the wings. Griffon Vulture has broad wings and a short tail, i.e. a very different ratio compared to these birds.

Last edited:
First one is definitely a juvenile Black Kite. Black Kites leave early to Africa, and a groupe of 9 should be unusual ; last bird is definitely (older) Red Kite, and I suspect 3 other photos to show the same individual Red Kite.

Therefore, your group is a group of Red Kites (common at this time of year), with one or two late Black Kites in it (most of late Black Kites are juvenile indeed).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back