• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Empidonax, Rondeau-Ontario, 10th may 2018 (1 Viewer)

keskinbo

Hi there,

of the five empidonax which can be ruled out ?
If anyone could identify him.
No more pics, sorry.

Please help me!

Attachments

• rDSC_7335.JPG
    rDSC_7335.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 32
  • rDSC_7337.JPG
    rDSC_7337.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 60
Its eyering is too thick and bright for an Alder or Willow and it's too gray and its throat is too white and contrasty for a Yellow-bellied. I'd call it a Least Flycatcher.

I think it is safe to rule out Acadian and Trail's. I'd feel pretty confident calling it a Least. The overall impression that I get is that the bird is compact and short winged. The bill is pretty clearly wide at the base, narrow at the tip ~ Delta shaped, which is wrong for Acadian or Trail's. Additionally, Acadian and Trail's should have a more sloped forehead giving them a sleek appearance due to the combination of having longer beaks as well. The primary tips are fairly rounded on this bird, most often Acadian looks to have "Sword-shaped" primaries tips. Lastly, the bird has no greenish tones on the mantle which should be shown by Acadian. As for Yellow-bellied, as The Bird Nuts noted, the throat is too white and contrasty, and just overall the bird is too dull.

I would also add that in my experience by 10th May, Willow, Akder & Arcadian FC are yet to arrive as far as Rondeau NP and Least are the bird seen at this time. Eye ring also says Least imo.

Thanks Robin for your information. So Willow, Alder and Acadian FC are later on ? How many days about ? Just to get some idea.

I recognise each year will be different and as a Brit, I’m not local to Ontario but fwiw, my records have earliest ‘Trails’ & Arcadian from 18th& 19th May. I’m sure those more local can comment as to whether this is of relevance over the years?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back