• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kintyre in the Storms (1 Viewer)

Original PaulE

United Kingdom
So a September trip to the Kintyre peninsula seemed like a good idea, although the weather was always a risk and the arrival of storm Ali towards the end of our stay didn't help matters, so no Eagles, Harriers or Otters, but enough of the negative stuff the Scenery was as always fantastic and we did see some great birds, the stand out highlight for me were the 2 Leach's Storm Petrels I had fantastic views of from a 2 hour Seawatch at the Machrihanish Bird Observatory, even managed a couple of pics!! The constant Stream of Gannets and Kittiwakes here sometimes right over our heads was a joy as well, Margie got close to some seals but not sure the one waving at her was really saying goodbye as she believes!!! We also had great views of Manx Shearwaters, Eiders, Hooded Crows, Rock Pipits, a Guillemot and a Black Guillemot in various places, although sadly the last one was the one time I didn't have my camera!! Various planned trips to islands had to be cancelled because of the wind, but the food was good and managed to avoid shopping and castles apart from a trip to the whiskey shop in Campbeltown and a visit to The Mull of Kintyre lighthouse which unfortunately was shut the area around was largely birdless though some Stonechats showed well, another trip Taynish NNR started well with a family of Bullfinches but didn't follow through, but great scenery and skyscapes can make up for that occasionally. So all in all an enjoyable trip (TBH the Leach's was worth the trip for me on it's own, must have looked a right pillock when I punched the air and shouted out when I realised what I was on!!) Although I felt the warden got a bit over excited by the Med Gull he'd seen as we have hundreds down here guess everything's relative!!!
I also did a Seawatch during Storm Ali which was exhilarating with Manxies, Bonxies and Gannets disappearing between the massive waves only to reappear half a mile down the coast, can't help thinking they are doing it for fun!! Can't think the speed the Manxies were travelling at but seemed seconds from one side to the other, fantastic stuff!!

Some pictures can be viewed at the link below, a little Gannet/Eider heavy but they did pose well,there are a few of the Leach's n all!! Although some are a bit dark and gloomy which captures the weather but not the mood!!Click on the individual pictures to see full size, think I've got most of the ID's sorted but if anyone thinks different be happy to put right.

Oh and I got my first Shag of the year hurrah!!!!

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=6356FB2BA7828F28!20691&cid=6356FB2BA7828F28

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back