• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Petition against hunting in Malta (1 Viewer)

Please would all BF members check out the www.birdlifemalta.org site, the images are quite horrific, I cannot get my head around the idea that these "hunters" call this genocide a sport.
Please sign the petition, it only takes a few moments and if we all sign it just might save a few birds from the guns.

Done, and link posted on facebook, it has to stop...and maybe one day they will realise it affects their tourism

Done and dusted. I've always had time for Bird Life ~ Malta.

That's not Hunting, after all. It's just wanton, indiscriminate slaughter by a bunch of Neanderthals with a complex :C

Just as bad in Italy, come to that .....

Just signed it. Its been going on for far to long and the Maltese Government including its Prime Minister do not have the political will or inclination to stop the annual slaughter. It's time for Europe to come down heavy on the Government and the hunters of Malta in order for real change to take place.

I hope all BF members around the world sign this petition.

Dean:t:

Signed the petition and voted on the Times of Malta poll. Interesting the result of the poll results currently:

Should Malta have a spring season for bird hunting this year?

no 60.4%
yes 36.9%
don't care 2.2%
don't know 0.5%
Total votes: 3677

Wonder how many of these are Maltese? Would be good to see a majority of the public there voting against, then standing up to make their voices heard.

I've signed the petition, I hope it has some effect. Personally, I think a more effective way would be to organise a coordinated campaign against the Maltese tourism industry.

Start by writing to all tour operators who include Malta in their brochures, and ask them to remove the island as a destination until illegal hunting is stopped. Follow this up with a leafleting campaign outside the doors of their high street shops. Make sure there is press coverage. Make sure Malta is associated in people's minds with gory photos of dead birds. Have a slogan like "Fly to Malta - no need to buy a return ticket" above a bleeding Honey Buzzard.

If local people with interests in the tourism industry feared for their businesses, they would almost certainly lobby the government to deal with the issue. The key to this is money.

I've signed the petition, I hope it has some effect. Personally, I think a more effective way would be to organise a coordinated campaign against the Maltese tourism industry.

Start by writing to all tour operators who include Malta in their brochures, and ask them to remove the island as a destination until illegal hunting is stopped. Follow this up with a leafleting campaign outside the doors of their high street shops. Make sure there is press coverage. Make sure Malta is associated in people's minds with gory photos of dead birds. Have a slogan like "Fly to Malta - no need to buy a return ticket" above a bleeding Honey Buzzard.

If local people with interests in the tourism industry feared for their businesses, they would almost certainly lobby the government to deal with the issue. The key to this is money.

Interesting idea, you could send an e-mail to birdlife and ask them what they think.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back