• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feeding advice please (1 Viewer)

Large Pigeon

Hello. I am new to this fine forum.

I bought a birdfeeder last week and hung it outside my window. I live within metres of trees, but not one bird has eaten from the feeder.

It's a second-floor flat so may be too high up.

Any advice?

I could hang it from one of the trees but the squirrels might then get the food.

OK, as no one else has offered a view point on this one, LP;

" Second floor flat ". I've never been too clear on all this stuff. Would that be there's a flat at ground level. Then someone else. Then you? Either way, that's as high as ye can mean. I've fed birds on a window sill at that level.

Thing is, as I remember, they were just about all House Sparrows. And, on reflection, I suspect they'd have been those nesting in the eaves around about my window. Not much else came that high ~ and close to the property ~ to feed. I'd surmise that these, few, birds were just grabbing a handy snack on their way too and from the nest.

Raises an interesting point though: Most people offer bird food from ground level to six foot up. With suitable cover near by, I wonder at what height the usual birds lose interest? I wonder why?

Dunno. Maybe opening out the question(s) will prompt others to pitch in ....?

It's possible that the birds feel too vulnerable with little cover with the feeder right by your window. It's also possible that they just haven't realised it's there yet. I'm pretty sure you can get bird feeders that are designed so that squirrels can't get to them... unless they make a crazy jump from somewhere or something. I would try changing the food, leave it a a bit longer. If you still don't see anything, it may just be that the birds don't feel secure there and you may have to hang it in the tree.

You don't say what bird food you are using. I put sunflower hearts in mine and the birds love them but the people either side of me put peanuts out and the birds don't touch them so you might have to experiment. Also have a look at what other people near you put out. The other thing is you need to give the birds time to get used to the feeder. A friend of mine has a feeder that sticks on the window and they get birds feeding on it.
Hope this helps

All new birdfeeding people get so impatient. 8-PWe have discussed here many times that you need to give it time. Birds will find and eat from your feeder eventually.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back