• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kings Norton Nature Reserve (1 Viewer)

Pair Goosanders still around and a Little Egret low in tree on right....flew off as soon as it spotted me.

Attachments

• Canon 2017  NOV 13 042 A.jpg
    Canon 2017 NOV 13 042 A.jpg
    669.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Canon 2017  NOV 13 041 A.jpg
    Canon 2017 NOV 13 041 A.jpg
    612.7 KB · Views: 86
  • Canon 2017  NOV 13 062 a.jpg
    Canon 2017 NOV 13 062 a.jpg
    561.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Your mysterious duck looks *very* much like the mysterious duck I saw at Rowheath back in September:

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3619095&postcount=4

Shoveler/Mandarin hybrid? Female? White front and the white stripe behind the eye? Bill looks a bit Shoveler-ish too.

Thanks Rob....thats the one.......I had suspicions a Mandarin was in there somewhere......It kept wanting to join in with the mallards but was always on the edge of their games....

After my shock at Bittell I tried the River Rea, Wychall Lane and straight away a Kingfisher flew out from under the bridge. I was on a role.
Then at Merecroft a female Goosander.
Great!

Goosander (1M 1F) at Merecroft Pool this morning, Water Rail calling, and the mysterious hybrid duck again.
A couple of small flocks of Redwing.

Jackrabbit had seen the Water Rail, and a Little Grebe, earlier.

Goosander (1M 1F) at Merecroft Pool this morning, Water Rail calling, and the mysterious hybrid duck again.
A couple of small flocks of Redwing.

Jackrabbit had seen the Water Rail, and a Little Grebe, earlier.

Good to see you again Rob. I also had the Kingfisher on the railings by Wychall Reservoir earlier, plus about 10 Teal on the old reservoir itself.

Later on, I did see 15 Goosander feeding on the model boating lake by Bournville Lane police station. Quite a lot for such a small pool. In previous years, these birds have moved around a lot locally so hopefully we should get some more at Merecroft soon.

Cheers

Stu

Later on, I did see 15 Goosander feeding on the model boating lake by Bournville Lane police station. Quite a lot for such a small pool. In previous years, these birds have moved around a lot locally so hopefully we should get some more at Merecroft soon.

Wow, that is a big group for that pool.

Good to see you too.

Just blows my socks off that they go on the boating pool.

One day I might cop the King on the rails...but won't hold my breath.

Just blows my socks off that they go on the boating pool.

One day I might cop the King on the rails...but won't hold my breath.

I thought it was worth an early morning run to take a look;
Five Goosander on the Bournville Valley parkway boating pond this morning. 3 female, 2 male. Which was great to see. Plus an electric boat with its lights on.
The endorphins had really kicked in so I kept running along the Bourn, Bournville.
I had a feeling I would find something and sure enough there was a Kingfisher on the Bourn before the road bridge. Great again!
The Goosander had gone when I came back.
Still on a high I checked out Manor Farm Park, no Goosander but a surprise Kingfisher on the brook. Great!
There were two Grey Wagtails along the Woodbrooke.

Last edited:
I could just see a Kingfisher on the River Rea looking down from the Wychall Lane bridge.
Then Merecroft Pool, a Male Goosander and a Little Egret. I think that's the first time I've seen one there. Great!

MEERCROFT. ....

8 Teal
Little Egret...was on submerged branches on right but just flew onto island trees and then shoreline.

Nothing of note on Merecroft Pool this afternoon, 1.30pm

Wychall Reservoir - 30+ Teal and a single Little Egret

Just one male Goosander on Merecroft Pool this morning, which promptly flew off north. Also a male Pochard which are unusual here and the Water Rail & Little Grebe both put in an appearance.

Another 2 Water Rail were heard at Wychall Reservoir and still at least 30 Teal down there.

Where do you get to see/count the Teal please.....I can hardly see any clear water....lol...mind you with the trees bare its a bit better.

Where do you get to see/count the Teal please.....I can hardly see any clear water....lol...mind you with the trees bare its a bit better.

Hi Keith - I saw them from the main path, feeding amongst the vegetation at the furthest end of the main marshy area. They can be difficult to see as it is a bit overgrown down there. Good luck.

The Teal were clearly visible from the main path on Friday, all in the same area under a bush approx 20ft from the path.

MEERCROFT.....almost entirely frozen...just a small area right of where people feed the ducks open...Mallards and 2 Swans keeping it open....BUT it's s good chance to see a Male Pochard and a Little Grebe close in...

Attachments

• KIN 1 small.jpg
    KIN 1 small.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 51
  • KIN 5.jpg
    KIN 5.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 44
  • KIN 6.jpg
    KIN 6.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 44
  • KIN 7.jpg
    KIN 7.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 47
  • KIN 8.jpg
    KIN 8.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Also the Hybrid Mallard male was getting frisky keeping other males on their toes - and they were all flying around the pool and plunging into the clear bit - keeping it clear.
Had my 1st Redwing of the year...I know its late.....by the Wychall Road Rea bridge.

Attachments

• KIN 2.jpg
    KIN 2.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 56
  • KIN 3.jpg
    KIN 3.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 70
  • KIN 4.jpg
    KIN 4.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 61
Just one male Goosander on Merecroft today, plus male Shoveler, the Little Grebe and a Green Woodpecker.

A Kingfisher was seen zooming downriver by Popes Lane, two Water Rails in the marsh, two Reed Buntings & a Buzzard in the area beyond the fallen gate. Also two Muntjac over there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back