• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is your favorite binocular at $1K? (1 Viewer)

If you catch a sale the Kowa 8-33 would fit the price and are very very good. I just don't watch as many butterflies as Lee so the focus id fine for me.
Steve

If you catch a sale the Kowa 8-33 would fit the price and are very very good. I just don't watch as many butterflies as Lee so the focus id fine for me.
Steve

The Kowa is by no means a bad butterfly bino and on my test subjects will focus from a farm 2.5 miles away down to a subject 2.2 yards from my desk in about 0.75 turns, whereas the Conquest does it in 0.5 turns. But if your interest in insects like butteflies and dragonflies is less committed than mine, or maybe you just don't like such a fast focus, there is much to like about the Kowa.

Lee

Would a used Leica Trinovid 8x32BN qualify here? I hope so--it is an amazing pair indeed.
I always like the classic look of the Leica Trinovid 8x32 BN and BA. I had several and I was always impressed with the toughness of them. They have nice optics also. A nice warm realistic addictive view with excellent contrast. Many guides I had in Costa Rica used Leica Trinovid BN's in the rain forest and they were usually all beat up and dirty but they still worked great.

Last edited:
The Kowa is by no means a bad butterfly bino and on my test subjects will focus from a farm 2.5 miles away down to a subject 2.2 yards from my desk in about 0.75 turns, whereas the Conquest does it in 0.5 turns. But if your interest in insects like butteflies and dragonflies is less committed than mine, or maybe you just don't like such a fast focus, there is much to like about the Kowa.

Lee
You are very correct that the fast focus on the Conquest is helpful for viewing both birds and insects because you can transition so fast.

Optical quality goes to the Kowa Genesis at this price point.

Overall I'd probably hand the title to the Monarch HG which presents very good/exceptional (though in my opinion probably slightly worse than the Kowa) optics in an ergonomically appealing package.

Optical quality goes to the Kowa Genesis at this price point.

Overall I'd probably hand the title to the Monarch HG which presents very good/exceptional (though in my opinion probably slightly worse than the Kowa) optics in an ergonomically appealing package.
Jremmons. What do you prefer optically about the Kowa Genesis over the Monarch HG?

I would say Kowa has the better CA control

CA control indeed appears to be a main issue of the MHG.

I would throw the Maven B2 9x45 into the pot, imo a strong contender in this price class.

My best bird watching binocular that I bought approx 2-3 years ago is the Zeiss 8x42 HT Binoculars. I believe the Zeiss SF Binoculars are even better, but as I’ve never tried the SF Binoculars and so I can’t comment on that model. But I’m very content with my present pair of binoculars that cost in UK currency £1,399.00 to buy.
Ian.

My best bird watching binocular that I bought approx 2-3 years ago is the Zeiss 8x42 HT Binoculars. I believe the Zeiss SF Binoculars are even better, but as I’ve never tried the SF Binoculars and so I can’t comment on that model. But I’m very content with my present pair of binoculars that cost in UK currency £1,399.00 to buy.
Ian.
I don't think you are suffering too much with a Zeiss HT.;)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back