Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

My new Kowa 660 Prominar

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 9th June 2008, 01:49   #1
wings

My new Kowa 660 Prominar

Just received my Kowa 660 Prominar spotting scope and took it to the local lake for a view test. The Kowa 660 came with the 25x LER eyepiece, ordered separately. The eyepiece rubber is removable and is a l-o-n-g piece of attachment, but, true to LER, it has no vignetting. Sharpness is edge to edge (I wear glasses) with no apparent distortion and color is crisp, not on the warm side as described in some other (German) scopes.

Fit and finish is very good, with the retractable lens hood sliding smoothly back and forth, while the focusing knob is smooth and precise. I would have preferred a rubberized coating for the scope as it would give it a better non-slip grip, but Kowa claims that it is waterproof to a high standard (JIS class 6 or 7). The eyepiece has a bayonet mount for quick attachment to the scope body, and the o-ring ensures dust and moisture protection. The 660 is surprisingly light (36 oz. not including the eyepiece) and compact in size.

At a distance of approximately 300 yds across the lake I could easily make out letters on a person's T-shirt, and all indications are that the 25x EP power plus the zoom of the camera should give me plenty magnification for telephoto shots.

As my Canon Powershot 590IS has not yet arrived, I was not able to do a digiscope test, but will follow this up when all equipment is in.

I was pleasantly rewarded for my outing when I saw a leucistic Canada Goose: this one was all white, unlike the half-white ones I have seen at other people's posting in other forums. I had to rush home and return with my 20D camera + 400mm/5.6L lens for some shots. Here are two:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3543_resized.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	143997  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3556.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	143998  
Old Monday 9th June 2008, 10:50   #2
horukuru
Here I Come !

nice shots hehehe and congrats of your new kowa scope :)
Old Tuesday 10th June 2008, 04:31   #3
wings

Thanks horukuru. Hey I see you are a Celtics FC fan, I'm also for the Hoops. For the EPL, I'm a Man. U fan. hehehehe.
Old Tuesday 10th June 2008, 09:56   #4
horukuru
Here I Come !

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings View Post
Thanks horukuru. Hey I see you are a Celtics FC fan, I'm also for the Hoops. For the EPL, I'm a Man. U fan. hehehehe.
wahaha long live celtic
Old Friday 10th October 2008, 09:47   #5
Mystical Bird
Mystical Bird

hello wings,

I hve this problem with my TSN603 with 45x Wide Angle (TSE-9Wide).

I am using Canon G9 for digiscoping with Kowa universal swing away holder.

But unfortunately i hve difficulty in getting full frame on the LCD.

Need some assistance.

Cheers
Mystical Bird
Old Thursday 25th December 2008, 22:50   #6
wings

Oops, sorry I overlooked your post. I'm not sure what you mean by getting full frame: can you explain? Also it seems you may be using an extremely wide angle eyepiece. Perhaps someone else in this forum can help?
Old Friday 26th December 2008, 03:33   #7
fugl
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings View Post
I was pleasantly rewarded for my outing when I saw a leucistic Canada Goose: this one was all white, unlike the half-white ones I have seen at other people's posting in other forums. I had to rush home and return with my 20D camera + 400mm/5.6L lens for some shots. Here are two:
I've never encountered a Canada--with no black at all even in the bill and legs--like that either. Interesting bird.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 9th January 2009, 23:18   #8
wings

Well, since there are several of these white ones in our local park I must assume that they are the result of a cross between a Canada goose and a local white goose or a greylag goose.
Old Friday 9th January 2009, 23:47   #9
Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystical Bird View Post
hello wings,

I hve this problem with my TSN603 with 45x Wide Angle (TSE-9Wide).

I am using Canon G9 for digiscoping with Kowa universal swing away holder.

But unfortunately i hve difficulty in getting full frame on the LCD.

Need some assistance.

Cheers
Mystical Bird
If you post your enquiry in the Digiscoping Cameras forum with a sample photograph you should get some responses to your problem. Neil.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: