• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Urgent Bird injured , how to take care ? Singapore (1 Viewer)

bfblover

Urgent dove Bird injured , how to take care ? Singapore

Hi , I am newbie not sure whether it's right place to ask for help on birds caring.Hoping someone could help out.It's a long read , Really thanks.

It's a baby dove , which I guess it's a Spotted Dove (Turtle dove).Living at asian

it's 99% reassemble the picture which i found on the website.Baby dove featherless and size of 2.8 inch long or 7cm.

2 days ago , there is a little baby dove felt from somewhere at my backyard which I can't find the nest.I don't have a higher ladder reaching to top of the coniferous tree.I just leave hoping the mother dove will pick it up back to the nest but after 5 hours till evening there's no sign of the mother dove picking it up.

I look closely the baby dove and found out it is wounded at the neck.I can see scratch of it's skin and blood.It keep on shacking its head , maybe due to pain.Not sure whether it's fine , I applied the baby dove with a human antibiotic cream which heal cuts and scratch. It still shack its head after apply and hear it chirping calling out of pain.

Gently , picking it up and putting it on a metal box with newspapers and tissue.I went and search website by website to find how to take care of it.Hoping I can keep it alive until it can fly.

The part with worries me is it's a baby dove which the feather haven't develop.The size is around 2.8inch or 7cm .Not sure whether how long it born.

I try to give it some food , 10-20 grain of rice with corn and mince it like oats.I read form some website , which I needed to feed it 4 times a day but it doesn't pointed out the exact timing.I just do it at the time between morning 9 to 10am , afternoon 2-3pm ,evening 6-7pm and night 10pm (sometimes if it never chirping or sleeping , i doesn't feed).Really worry whether it the correct time to feed it.
I really have no experience on caring baby bird , not to mention baby dove.I really hope someone could guide me out.

The part which I am not sure it's right step and method

1.Should I continue apply human antibiotic cream ? BN cream

2.Is it a correct time to feed it ? how many times a day ?

3.Is it fine to resident it on a metal box with newspaper and tissue ?

4.I dont have any heat lamp to keep it warm.What other electric or tools should I use ?

5.Whether it's a correct food to feed the baby dove ? grain rice + corn mincing it together? Does it have enough vitamin for it to grow ?

6.How long would it take for it to grow feathers and knows how to eat its own ?

There is no Wildlife and rescue team center or vet doctor which have experience on caring baby dove around my city.I'm not sure weather I was doing a right method of caring.Just hope it can grow up healthy .

Thank you very much for reading , really appreciate :)

Attachments

• babydove400.jpg
    babydove400.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Hi , I am newbie not sure whether it's right place to ask for help on birds caring.Hoping someone could help out.It's a long read , Really thanks.

It's a baby dove , which I guess it's a Spotted Dove (Turtle dove).Living at asian

it's 99% reassemble the picture which i found on the website.Baby dove featherless and size of 2.8 inch long or 7cm.

2 days ago , there is a little baby dove felt from somewhere at my backyard which I can't find the nest.I don't have a higher ladder reaching to top of the coniferous tree.I just leave hoping the mother dove will pick it up back to the nest but after 5 hours till evening there's no sign of the mother dove picking it up.

I look closely the baby dove and found out it is wounded at the neck.I can see scratch of it's skin and blood.It keep on shacking its head , maybe due to pain.Not sure whether it's fine , I applied the baby dove with a human antibiotic cream which heal cuts and scratch. It still shack its head after apply and hear it chirping calling out of pain.

Gently , picking it up and putting it on a metal box with newspapers and tissue.I went and search website by website to find how to take care of it.Hoping I can keep it alive until it can fly.

The part with worries me is it's a baby dove which the feather haven't develop.The size is around 2.8inch or 7cm .Not sure whether how long it born.

I try to give it some food , 10-20 grain of rice with corn and mince it like oats.I read form some website , which I needed to feed it 4 times a day but it doesn't pointed out the exact timing.I just do it at the time between morning 9 to 10am , afternoon 2-3pm ,evening 6-7pm and night 10pm (sometimes if it never chirping or sleeping , i doesn't feed).Really worry whether it the correct time to feed it.
I really have no experience on caring baby bird , not to mention baby dove.I really hope someone could guide me out.

The part which I am not sure it's right step and method

1.Should I continue apply human antibiotic cream ? BN cream

2.Is it a correct time to feed it ? how many times a day ?

3.Is it fine to resident it on a metal box with newspaper and tissue ?

4.I dont have any heat lamp to keep it warm.What other electric or tools should I use ?

5.Whether it's a correct food to feed the baby dove ? grain rice + corn mincing it together? Does it have enough vitamin for it to grow ?

6.How long would it take for it to grow feathers and knows how to eat its own ?

There is no Wildlife and rescue team center or vet doctor which have experience on caring baby dove around my city.I'm not sure weather I was doing a right method of caring.Just hope it can grow up healthy .

Thank you very much for reading , really appreciate :)

Welcome to the forum.|=)|

I can't answer all of your questions, but I'll give what help I can:

The Antibiotic Cream can be quite oily and can cause problems with feathers, maybe Iodine would be better?

Keep the bird in a warm (not hot) dry place, any container that's large enough, and has vents so air can circulate, should be fine.

The head shaking could be a reaction to pain, but I also see this in Pigeons that are ill, so pay attention to your own hygiene (wash your hands thoroughly in an antiviral/bacterial handwash after handling the bird ).

As for feeding, it's more information than you need, but click the link in my signature and scroll down to Birds. Also look here for feeding advice. Be prepared that the bird may die regardless of your best efforts.

Ignore all that I've said until others reply, as I'm no expert. You can, however, trust the information in the links I've provided.

And no matter what anyone else says, thanks for caring about Wildlife, and this bird in particular.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back