• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kings Norton Nature Reserve (1 Viewer)

Wychall Reservoir / River Rea - Kings Norton 26-12-2014 12:00
I knew KNNR might have another KF!! I first headed up the River Rea out of the reserve and could see the river was perfect for KF. There were loads of tits feeding in the trees over the river. Then I saw my first Grey Wagtail. Then I was really impressed by the number of Bullfinch feeding - I saw 3 males in one spot. I then headed back into the reserve and kept looking along the Rea. Then right opposite the Reservoir where I got a KF photo before, but this time on the Rea I saw a kingfisher take flight back up the river. Great!! Then found another Grey Wagtail and then a GSWP close to the path. Great!!

Last edited:
Tuesday 6th..... 2.30 - 3.45.
Only a Male Goosander left today and it was hiding at back of island but came out eventually.Did a bit of diving then flew off sweeping around and heading for Wychall Resa area......it came back after 15 mins with a female and they settled down for the night (hope).
2 pairs of Tufted and apart from normal Coot,Moorhen,Heron and BHGulls a few Lesser B.Backs as well...also what looked like a Female Gadwall....my 1st here.

Attachments

• New Canon 155 105 Gad 1_filtered.jpg
    New Canon 155 105 Gad 1_filtered.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 80
  • New Canon 155 004 LBBG 1_filtered.jpg
    New Canon 155 004 LBBG 1_filtered.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Male Gadwall still at Merecroft pool this morning with the Mallards. Also 5 Tufted & 8 Goosander. I think some of the Goosanders have moved to the model boating lake by Bournville Lane police station as there were 18 there today.

Tuesday 6th..... 2.30 - 3.45.
Only a Male Goosander left today and it was hiding at back of island but came out eventually.Did a bit of diving then flew off sweeping around and heading for Wychall Resa area......it came back after 15 mins with a female and they settled down for the night (hope).
2 pairs of Tufted and apart from normal Coot,Moorhen,Heron and BHGulls a few Lesser B.Backs as well...also what looked like a Female Gadwall....my 1st here.

No idea why I typed female for the Gadwall.......he he...thanks JackRabbit.

Can never believe the Goosanders like the model boating pool ...its even smaller and busier than here.

Last edited:
Later there were 17 Goosander...mostly Male and 7 Tufted (4 M - 3 F)...could not locate the Gadwall though it might have been in the reedy area to the left.

Tues 13th midday.

20 Goosander ...mostly Female types and the Gadwall was out and about ....then the snow came and I went.

Meercroft Saturday 2.45........King shot along dam edge and over the top.....can only think it went towards the stream in the corner...have looked here before and drew blanks so worth another go.

Lots of work going on with contractors tree felling/tidying so very muddy where vehicles have been ...also think they kept the Goosanders away.

Meercroft.....Sunday 1pm......1/2 the water frozen and over 30 Canada Geese keeping as near to the edge of ice as they can to get away from me.
A Male Goosander was trying to chill out amongst the Geese.

The Gadwall was about Saturday but could not find it today.

10.00 Seven Goosander on Merecroft, something spooked them and they took off heading north but they circled and flew back over higher heading East.

Wychall Reservoir / River Rea - Kings Norton
On Merecroft Pool there were a couple tufted ducks and 2 pairs of heron. On Wychall Res there was another pair of heron. I wonder if any have chicks. With all these heron I thought where's the kingfisher. Then I saw and heard along the Rea a very vocal male kingfisher, fishing and guarding the territory. Great!!

Dont know if this spot had been over reserve but it came from that direction around 4pm today....I live around West Heath /Longbridge....Oh by the way its a RED KITE

Attachments

• Canon 2016 JUNE 1 050 A low forum.jpg
    Canon 2016 JUNE 1 050 A low forum.jpg
    724.7 KB · Views: 88
Further to Keithr's post of 5th June, I spotted a Red Kite flying over my house in Wychall Park Grove, Kings Norton, coming from the direction of the KN Nature Reserve on Wednesday, 15th June about 4.30 p.m. I didn't know they were in this area. Despite the fairly obvious give away of the shape of the tail, I did question my identification, so I was very pleased to see Keithr's post!

One was spotted over redditch road after I spotted mine........they have been around a few years but not so local....i had one over Goodrest lane a few years ago.

That's good to know that they are local, Keith. We travel to and from London fairly often, and spend the time counting the kites along the M40. They're a lovely bird to watch. It will make a change from the two buzzards you often see over and around the Reserve.

Not quite in or around the reserve but next door......I was around Northfield church today and sure the big black "crows" were RAVENS.....if you dont know I cannot hear bird calls/songs but could just make out a harsh call.....suppose its common knowledge if they were Ravens but I dont get up around the Church that often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back