• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex viper HD 8x32 or Nikon SE 8X32 (1 Viewer)

Rob T

So the HD and the SE are about the same price. I want a 8X32 for birding and nature viewing.

What do you think which is better? Both get great reviews all over what should I buy?

The SE is considered by many to be one of the best binoculars one can buy at any price, or at least in the under $1k area. You don't hear anyone describing the Vortex in such a manner.

Unless you need waterproofness (probably not a real word), I would say go with the SE.

I would take the view of the SE any day over the Viper HD. If you are ok with the ergonomics of a porro and it fits you well enough, it would be the way to go.

Sheeeshh.... I took the view of the SE over the Swaro EL WB... but I eventually let the porro go realizing I prefer handling and carrying roofs.

CG

If you intend on using close focus for butterflies and the like the Viper has an astonishing 3ft close focus. I've used both models and they are both very nice. The SE is sharper and the view is impressive. The Viper has its own strong points and does have very good optics.
Try to handle both at a store if you can and decide for yourself. Everyone has their own individual preferences.

You have to compare directly but unlike most, I was not as impressed with the optics any of the Vipers I've handled. By the same token, I'm 100%, prime time in love with my 6.5x32 Furys.

The 8x32 SE is a remarkable bin but not without its own limitations and shortcomings for some users (blackouts). You might see if you could look through the Zeiss Conquest HD in 8x32 to see what you think.

If you intend on using close focus for butterflies and the like the Viper has an astonishing 3ft close focus. I've used both models and they are both very nice. The SE is sharper and the view is impressive. The Viper has its own strong points and does have very good optics.
Try to handle both at a store if you can and decide for yourself. Everyone has their own individual preferences.

I live in Toronto Canada and so far I cant find anyone that has either in the store. I have read everything I can but were I li9ve its like comparing hen's teeth to turtle fur.

Unless anyone knows a way I can try both? please?

You have to compare directly but unlike most, I was not as impressed with the optics any of the Vipers I've handled. By the same token, I'm 100%, prime time in love with my 6.5x32 Furys.

The 8x32 SE is a remarkable bin but not without its own limitations and shortcomings for some users (blackouts). You might see if you could look through the Zeiss Conquest HD in 8x32 to see what you think.

I have seen Zeiss Conquest HD in 8x32 and its lovely but costs way more. More then I think I am going to spend.

what is a 6.5x32 Furys please?

I honestly think the choice comes down to what you need (and also which work better for your eyes): the SE of course has been raved about regarding its optical quality which seemingly rivals the top models; the Viper HD has similarly great optical performance in the center that weakens at the edges but also comes in a waterproof and fogproof model that is quite tank like - there are also ergonomic differences.

I for one could never use anything other than a highly durable waterproof model because I hike through dense woods, wetlands, and grasslands to complete my field work, but if I were simply a recreational birder primarily observing from well-maintained trails and lookouts, the SE would be my number 1 choice as I can't justify spending >$600 given the quality available at that price point.

Rob, something to consider is, how long will you have these bins? The cost difference between the Conquest HD (assuming you prefer it) to the Vipers amortized over a few years sort of dissipates, no? At least that's what drove me to buy the 8x42 Conquest HD's I recently got over the bins that were about $300 less. The only 8x42's I looked at that I liked better were the Zeiss HT's. I thought the HD's were as good as the Swaro SLC's and Leica Trins and UV's. The Swaro SV's with their rolling ball effect kills them for me.

The Conquest HD's were my mid-price compromise except I don't feel I really compromised. I paid $873 shipped for them and felt it was a heckuva deal.

Rob, something to consider is, how long will you have these bins? The cost difference between the Conquest HD (assuming you prefer it) to the Vipers amortized over a few years sort of dissipates, no? At least that's what drove me to buy the 8x42 Conquest HD's I recently got over the bins that were about $300 less. The only 8x42's I looked at that I liked better were the Zeiss HT's. I thought the HD's were as good as the Swaro SLC's and Leica Trins and UV's. The Swaro SV's with their rolling ball effect kills them for me.

The Conquest HD's were my mid-price compromise except I don't feel I really compromised. I paid $873 shipped for them and felt it was a heckuva deal.

I agree with your thinking. I have tried the Zeiss Conquest and I think
it is a very nice optic, in its price range.

I have wanted to try the new Zeiss HT, but I have not found it in any
stores yet in my area. Where did you find the HT?

Jerry

I honestly think the choice comes down to what you need (and also which work better for your eyes): the SE of course has been raved about regarding its optical quality which seemingly rivals the top models; the Viper HD has similarly great optical performance in the center that weakens at the edges but also comes in a waterproof and fogproof model that is quite tank like - there are also ergonomic differences.

I for one could never use anything other than a highly durable waterproof model because I hike through dense woods, wetlands, and grasslands to complete my field work, but if I were simply a recreational birder primarily observing from well-maintained trails and lookouts, the SE would be my number 1 choice as I can't justify spending >$600 given the quality available at that price point.

Ya I do a bit of bush hopping but mostly its birding on the wkend as you say. I hear that you can sometimes get demos on the SE's. Or how would you buy. likely the Vipers are going to be full price because they are new. The Ziess are more like $1200 in Toronto.

Using that argument if I pay less and hold for longer then they are almost free? LOL

I agree with your thinking. I have tried the Zeiss Conquest and I think
it is a very nice optic, in its price range.

I have wanted to try the new Zeiss HT, but I have not found it in any
stores yet in my area. Where did you find the HT?

Jerry

Our local Sportsman's Warehouse. As great as the HD is, the HT is a significant step up IMO. Just not at about two and a half times the price. But believe me, I seriously considered a pair.

i have both. i use bino, loupes, etc to look at a range of living things. So, the close focus is important to me. How i use them.
My 8x se is my primary reliance for daytime use, spring through fall, unless in torrential rain situation. i also carry something else for close ups, (8x papilios and a loupe).
the Viper 8x32 HD is my primary travel bino, if dark sky astro is not likely where i am going. Then it is the 10x42 Viper HD, close focus for me on that one is a tad short of 5 feet.
Re the 8x32 HD, it is optically very good, not to the SE level, but darn close. It is also very forgiving on eye placement. When i have used the Viper 32mm, i have never thought, gee i wish i had the SE along.
But, the SE has the superior resolution and field flatness. Contrast is a toss up.

i have both. i use bino, loupes, etc to look at a range of living things. So, the close focus is important to me. How i use them.
My 8x se is my primary reliance for daytime use, spring through fall, unless in torrential rain situation...the Viper 8x32 HD is my primary travel bino.

Re the 8x32 HD, it is optically very good, not to the SE level, but darn close. It is also very forgiving on eye placement. When i have used the Viper 32mm, i have never thought, gee i wish i had the SE along.
But, the SE has the superior resolution and field flatness. Contrast is a toss up.

I'm with Jay.

I have both with 8X's and I pretty much use it as he does, except that with a 3 foot close range the Viper is enough for me. I agree it is my primary travel bino--the only thing I am giving up with the Vipers are the 3D effect and the rather crystalline views of the SE, but very little else. And I also gain the assurance that the Vipers are fully weatherproof/worry free. And the Vipers are really compact, have a great focussing mechanism.

So the great thing is you can get both for less than what I would have paid for Zeiss Victory FL Binoculars (8x32). But I really relish the view with my hand friendly, chunky, SEs. And I don't think any roof is going to come close to that view quality for less than 3X the cost of the SE.

I'm with Jay.

I have both with 8X's and I pretty much use it as he does, except that with a 3 foot close range the Viper is enough for me. I agree it is my primary travel bino--the only thing I am giving up with the Vipers are the 3D effect and the rather crystalline views of the SE, but very little else. And I also gain the assurance that the Vipers are fully weatherproof/worry free. And the Vipers are really compact, have a great focussing mechanism.

So the great thing is you can get both for less than what I would have paid for Zeiss Victory FL Binoculars (8x32). But I really relish the view with my hand friendly, chunky, SEs. And I don't think any roof is going to come close to that view quality for less than 3X the cost of the SE.

Got a chance to try the Vipor today. Nice bino but i have tried better how can i try the SE no one stocks it?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back