• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Legalised" relocation to save racing pigeons ! (1 Viewer)

Do these idiots honestly believe that relocating Sparrowhawks to another location is going to make a difference, do they intend to keep them locked up so they can't fly back to where the pickings were easy. In any case, as soon as the original territory is vacated another Sparrowhawk will come in and take it over, what do they intend doing then? They could be relocating these birds from the same site for years, hopefully someone will see common sense and put a stop to it. Unfortunately this will probably set a precedent that will have all the sporting fraternity saying, if they can do it why can't we, why stop at Sparrowhawks? Goshawks and Peregrines take pigeons also.

nirofo.

Setting a precedent is probably what this is all about. Same as the very powerful lobby that is pushing for control of Sparrowhawk and Buzzard in Scotland - that issue is almost certainly not about the control of Sparrowhawk or Buzzard either.

cheers
martin

Unfortunately this will probably set a precedent that will have all the sporting fraternity saying, if they can do it why can't we, why stop at Sparrowhawks? Goshawks and Peregrines take pigeons also.

nirofo.

It's all about power and control over nature. Some people seem driven to achieve it. Maybe it makes them get a funny feeling in their tummy...

Setting a precedent is probably what this is all about. Same as the very powerful lobby that is pushing for control of Sparrowhawk and Buzzard in Scotland - that issue is almost certainly not about the control of Sparrowhawk or Buzzard either.

cheers
martin

Sad but true.

I'd be surprised if some misguided fool isn't already working on the relocation of Hen Harriers.

There was a situation a few years ago when a Scottish Airport (either Dyce or Inverness) wanted special dispensation to control non-target species such as buzzards. As far as I remember, the Scottish parliament looked closely (and seriously) at the proposals but it was not logical to proceed given the precedent it would create (arguably, across the UK given that England and Wales have largely followed Scotland in terms of wildlife law in recent years). I would be surprised if this idea goes ahead now it is out in the open but it is never worth ignoring a subject like this in case it is passed in silence.

DEFRA and now natural England have been issuing 1 or 2 licences a year for about the last 4 years to allow the culling of buzzards on, if my memory serves me correct, 2 military air bases in the SW and one civil airfield in Wiltshire for air safety reasons. If you go to the DEFRA web site, you can access their reports to the EU showing the figures.
I know for a fact that NE were contacted by at least one falconry club who offered to take the birds into captivity for them to be flown etc, NE declined the offer as they (the individual responsible for the licences at the time)considered the practice cruel and that it would have a major stress implication on the buzzards .... and shooting them with a 12 bore was the preffered option!

Graham

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back