• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1st Scottish Ospreys Return (1 Viewer)

Ian Bell

Supporter
Scotland
For all Osprey Fans.

2 Ospreys were recorded in Scotland on 23/03/2006.A single at Cramond,which is near Edinburgh and another on the Island of Coll,on the west coast.This should whet the appetite of the Loch Garten Webcam viewers.Could it have been Henry or EJ ? The Webcam at the Osprey site is now up and running again,for those interested.

Ben Nevis said:
For all Osprey Fans.

2 Ospreys were recorded in Scotland on 23/03/2006.A single at Cramond,which is near Edinburgh and another on the Island of Coll,on the west coast.This should whet the appetite of the Loch Garten Webcam viewers.Could it have been Henry or EJ ? The Webcam at the Osprey site is now up and running again,for those interested.

Hooray :D :D :D :D

Its been heavy heavy rain all day here , but I will have a look at my local site tommorrow.
It would be the best Mothers Day pressie I could get if one of my local birds were back.

Cheers Kas

I've just come back from seeing the one at Loch of the Lowes. Just the one, sitting in a tree. Very alert obviously watching for Matey.

It stopped raining and the sun came out. :D

D

Hi Delia,

That is great news you must have seen the one that reached home first so are our Gold Medal Winner.

I know of at least 3 birds that have been seen heading home wherever that may be so 1 down 2 to go and more to come, as some youngsters must be making their first return this year.

It is all so exciting I was off on Friday and spent all day (only as it was wet of course) checking all the Osprey sites, the Lake District site will be staffed by volunteers from the 1st of April as usual.

Thanks for the update and bye for now.

Ann :flyaway: :flowers: For You

Three ospreys have returned to the Rutland site already according to their web site. All male according to reports and all are returning birds.
Lets hope No Ring and XS get to the Lakes soon.

Thanks for the udate Ospreywatcher,

Haven't checked the Rutand site today, doing tv diary don't forget next Wednesday afternoon's programme.

As everyone knows I am all on edge till Henry and EJ return they were the first Ospreys I saw anywhere and that was on the Webcam so will always be my favourites and Andrew keeps us all up to date with his great diary.

Ann
Osprey Fanatic :t: :flyaway:

Mums Back For Mothers Day..!

delia todd said:
I've just come back from seeing the one at Loch of the Lowes. Just the one, sitting in a tree. Very alert obviously watching for Matey.

As it is Mothers Day,how appropriate that it is the Female who is on the eyrie at Loch of Lowes.The webcam from this site,shall be up and running in April."Happy Viewing All"..!

Our reserve officer found one at Loch Leven on Thursday. I missed it because I was on Lewis. Should hopefully see one soon!

Last edited:
The ospreys are back at Loch Garten

From the RSPB's web site: http://www.rspb.org.uk/scotland/birdwatching_Scotland/ospreysback.asp

The ospreys are back!

The ospreys have returned for the breeding season at RSPB Scotland's Loch Garten Osprey Centre in Strathspey.

Two birds - a female known as EJ and a male, the ringed 'Orange VS' - were first spotted on Sunday afternoon (March 26), having come all the way from west Africa.

But after the trials and tribulations of the birds' breeding attempts last year, what they get up to in 2006 is anyone's guess and is sure to be followed avidly by the many visitors to the Centre and those who keep up to date with their progress via the osprey web diary.

In 2005, EJ mated successfully with Orange VS and produced a number of eggs but the male disappeared, leaving her to vie for the attentions of two other male ospreys. Sadly, despite many twists and turns in their soap opera, the ospreys failed to rear any chicks at Loch Garten last year - which makes the prospects for 2006 all the more exciting.

'Now we are awaiting the arrival of EJ's old flame Henry - if and when he shows up the fun will really begin''It's always great to get your first glimpse of the birds when they've flown all the way from Africa and there's a real sense of anticipation now about what lies ahead for the breeding season this year,' said Site Manager Richard Thaxton.

'They are magnificent birds to watch and their antics as they prepare to mate and rear chicks are fascinating. Now we are awaiting the arrival of EJ's old flame Henry - if and when he shows up the fun will really begin. Whatever happens, we're prepared for a gripping few weeks ahead.'

It is important that the newly arrived ospreys are allowed these first few days to settle-in, bond with each other and get used to the site once more. The Osprey Centre will therefore not open for public viewing until Saturday April 1.

Source: RSPB Scotland
27 March 2006

Loch Garten ospreys - 2006
Please note that the Loch Garten Osprey Centre reopens on Saturday, 1 April.

The osprey webcams and online diary will be back soon - keep checking the Scotland homepage: http://www.rspb.org.uk/scotland

Last edited:
Great news,yes thanks to all who have contributed info,makes very cheerful reading.By the state of our seas at the moment,the birds winging their way back to Britain must be having a very stormy passage.

Both the Ospreys are now at Loch of the Lowes.:-O

They were both on the nest for a while this afternoon when (presumably he) flew off, probably on a fishing trip.

D

My local (Female, I think due to the markings on the chest) bird is back, hooray o:) o:) o:)
Had the pleasure of watching her catch and eat her lunch. Pictures are terrible but if I would never be able to get close enough for good shots without disturbing her. :king:

Attachments

• Osp.jpg
    Osp.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 134
  • ospr.jpg
    ospr.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 132
Two birds on the nest at loch Garten earlier today, one was EJ but who is the other?

Attachments

• video1.jpg
    video1.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 132
Seems like all the Scottish birds are back now. The Aferfoyle birds and the Peebles birds are all back as are those in Galloway.

Mind you the exception seem to be Henry.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back