• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Visiting a hacked website - security issues (1 Viewer)

Andrew Clarke

Hi all

I'm after some help after coming across the following situation.

Twice recently I've found myself looking at websites that have been hacked. Whoever did it has modified the home page and left a messge - I can't remember what the first one said (some crap) but worryingly last night my browser (Firefox) started going crazy - changing shape and forming weird patterns on the screen then displaying 'hacked by 'Mr007' and even playing a rather cheesy version of the James Bond theme tune. Yawn...

I immediately disconnected then ran malwarebytes and funnily enough firefox started to load itself as well which it's never done before. I stopped this and waited an hour for the results of the full scan, which came up clean. It was late by the time I'd finished so this morning I ran spybot whjich found nothing untoward but I'm concerned about possible security issues.

Have other people experienced any problems after visiting hacked websites? Should I be worried about security and if so what is best practise to stay safe online? I'm using Panda Internet Security 2010 as well as running the other two programmes regularly.

Thanks in anticipation for any advice :t:

Andrew

Hacked websites will often lead to a drive by infection.

It would be wise to go HERE and follow the instructions.

If you decide to clean your system, please post the requested log files once done.

There is very little protection against a drive by infection and all you can really do is try as much as possible to only visit trusted sites. It may well be that the webmaster of the site, doesn't even know that his/her site is infected.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back