Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

"Pocket" Guide for Europe

Old Monday 13th April 2009, 20:43   #1
hultsfret

"Pocket" Guide for Europe

Hi,

I've been using both the Peterson and Jonsson Guide to Birds of Europe for several years and to state the obvious I'd like to say that I am very happy with them. But with 500+ pages each, they're somewhat heavy to take on a mountain trip.

I have been thinking about cutting the book into pieces and just taking the drawings of whatever part I needed (not so many waders on mountain trips), but it seems a little harsh to me.

Does anyone know about a "pocket" guide that he would recommend?

Regards,

Matthias
Old Monday 13th April 2009, 22:47   #2
colonelboris
Right way up again

Collins Bird Guide is very good for WP birds and is only 400 pages. There's numerous threads about how good it is, so worth considering if you don't mind the bird names in English (although if you follow the link in my signature, there's a solution to that...).
There is a German version (Der neue Kosmos - Vogelführer), but I've only ever seen it in hardback and it's fairly expensive in this format.
Hope that's some help.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 14th April 2009, 17:00   #3
Richard Klim
-------------------------

Matthias,

Depending on the area of coverage that you need, I recommend Kightley, Madge & Nurney 2002 (Pocket Guide to the Birds of Britain and North-West Europe) as a more compact but pretty good field guide:It covers Scandinavia, Germany, Czech Republic, Austria, Switzerland, France, Benelux & British Isles.

Stephen Moss, Birdwatch:
  • "Many bird books claim to be 'pocket sized' but few truly fit the bill. So what of this snug little volume from Pica Press? The authors, artist and designer have certainly packed a great deal into a small space: almost 400 species contained within a total of just 300 pages, measuring just 18cm by 12cm, and less than half the weight of a typical field guide. The text, by Chris Kightley and Steve Madge, is a model of concise description, with virtually no words wasted, and brief clear captions pointing out the major identification features. The species accounts have a real air of authority: written by birders for birders, yet also accessible to the beginner. The illustrations, by Dave Nurney, are pleasing to look at, and the colours well reproduced."
Richard

Last edited by Richard Klim : Tuesday 14th April 2009 at 17:12.
Old Tuesday 14th April 2009, 19:23   #4
Keith Dickinson
Opus Editor

I'll second the Madge and Kightley book, mine lives in the pocket of my sco-pack on the tripod. Great book and very portable.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 14th April 2009, 23:01   #5
hultsfret

Madge and Kightley looks very good, i'll give it a try.

Thanks.
Old Tuesday 14th April 2009, 23:19   #6
carlj

How about going electronic? Sony e-reader (not sure what's out there) or some of the dvd guides from birdguides, transferred to ipod/iphone or mp4 player? I get a good 4 hours continuous battery use with the Creative Zen, and expandable memory means I can dedicate 4gb to a multimedia guide.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: