• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thick Billed Green Pigeons (1 Viewer)

Himalaya

A Thick Billed Green Pigeon in good nick has been photographed in Karachi, Pakistan. It looks like an adult male. They occur in Nepal and Eastern India.

Is this a migratory species in any of it's range? Are there records of this species in India away form it's known range?

A Thick Billed Green Pigeon in good nick has been photographed in Karachi, Pakistan. It looks like an adult male. They occur in Nepal and Eastern India.

Is this a migratory species in any of it's range? Are there records of this species in India away form it's known range?

Birders in Sennen look out..... ;)

John

Some vagrancy, e.g. central India

Any link to the pic?

I just got this via the OBC, habitat description being at odds with the usual reqirements for the species, is the ID certain?

' Hello All,

A Thick Billed Pigeon has been photographed in Karachi, Pakistan. It has been photographed at Defence Housing Authority Phase 8 - a piece of land which has been earmarked for housing affluent people. At the moment it is mainly scrub land and proven to be quite a good place for birds.
Is this species known for vagrancy or is it sedentary? Does any one know of any records from Central, Southern or Western India? How common is the species in captive collections especially within India?

It would represent a first National record for Pakistan IF wild.'

Hi
It is on social media but here is the bird. Interestingly there are 2 subspecies - T. c. nipalensis and T.c.curvirostra. The latter being restricted to South of Thailand. Taken From wiki

Attachments

• thickbill.jpg
    thickbill.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 89
HBW doesn't mention any strange extralimital records. Says generally resident with some local movements depending on fruit availability. But the volume I have on pigeons was written a long time ago...

Thank you so much everyone. The discussion gave me a lot of insights about the bird. Nevertheless it was my first shot of the bird in Pakistan.

There are several extralimital winter records in Hong Kong, outside the normal range of the species. In fact, several green pigeon species have turned up here (none are resident) and the genus seems to be capable of some interesting long-distance movements. Although most records are from expected forest habitat, they can occasionally turn up in fairly small patches of trees in more open areas.

I think it's entirely feasible that this Pakistan record is a wild bird and a very good record for the finder.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back