• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cuckoo, September (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

Please can anyone advise if the bird attached is a juvenile or adult, male or female?
Thanks and best wishes
Ian

Attachments

• File 496.jpg
    File 496.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 120
Yes I’ve seen “hepatic” Cuckoo in Cyprus during April, don’t know what the incidence might be during September in the UK...?

The question EL asked was about how to separate adults from juveniles Ken.

I'm no expert, but this paper (http://www.jolyon.co.uk/research/publications/Kolecek%20et%20al%202018%20cuckoo%20chick%20colour.pdf) indicates that in eastern Europe as many as 25% of adult females are rufous in colour.

Sample size in that study was not huge, but in the following link, there is an indication that in Germany at least 14% of females could be rufous: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=245275

The incidents of such rufous/brown adults in September is perhaps a topic for another debate, but for sure, the presence of brown tones in Common Cuckoos is no way to separate adults from juveniles.

This link seems to indicate that subtle brown tones are much more common in adult females than the field guides would have us believe, since they typically only illustrate grey adult males: https://www.flickr.com/photos/timmelling/42121491431

Last edited:
basically the broad white fringes.

just to add to the most obvious feature mentioned by Lou, also juveniles have dark irises (turning to bright yellow in adults) as photo shows, along with pale patch on the nape which is quite visible in the field.

Adult females are grey with varying amounts of buffy or rufous tinges to the throat and upper breast however the rufous morph adult female is unmistakably a very rich reddish brown and gives a very different impression of ‘rufous brown’ imo from juveniles in the field due to the lack of pale fringes or compared to ‘grey’ adults in the field that may show limited buff/brown - one of my old forest patches use to hold a rufous morph female (as distinct from a grey morph brownish female) who looked stunning, especially in sunlight.

I had a link somewhere on the possible reasons for polymorphism in females ..

here it is - it makes for interesting reading
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-44024-6

Last edited:
Thank you. The point about the dark iris is interesting.
I have added additional pics of the same bird

Attachments

• File 496.JPG
    File 496.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 19
  • File 498.jpg
    File 498.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 24
  • File 499.JPG
    File 499.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 14
  • File 500.JPG
    File 500.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 11
  • File 501.JPG
    File 501.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 13
A juvenile at that time of year should have a subtle ‘scaly’ appearance to the upperparts due to pale edging of the feathers and the pale nape spot is usually a feature that is easily seen in the field particularly on a perching individual imo.

Good birding -

Laurie:t:

A juvenile at that time of year should have a subtle ‘scaly’ appearance to the upperparts due to pale edging of the feathers and the pale nape spot is usually a feature that is easily seen in the field particularly on a perching individual imo.

Good birding -

Laurie:t:

Thank you. I appreciate the tip about the pale nape which was new to me and now I know that I shall be able to keep my eye open for that in future o:)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back