• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon (1 Viewer)

Graham

Sorry to have to start another new thread but it appears that because there haven't been any posts for over 12 month then I cant continue posting on the established treads. I know there are Devon birders out there, just surprised it has come to this.
A rare full day off today, so did a little birding. Started at Soussons wood, looking successfully for crossbill. Found a pair at the top of the main path from the car park, at the log pile clearing. Very vocal and conspicuous.
Onto Brixham to look for the Glaucous gull. It was exactly where its been reported, on top of the fish market roof at 12:30. When I return after a pub lunch at 13:30 it had moved on, for once I dropped lucky. Also of note, at least 2 blackcap feeding in the huge ivy wall at the harbour wall calling frequently and even bursting into song at on point.

Graham: You can continue posting in that thread if you wish.

Below the message pane just click into the tick box and you will wake the thread up again.

Hi Jon. yes I visit that site every day to see what's around. Its the site where I got the Glaucous gull info from. I find it to be a very usefull and informative site. I have sent sights there in the past, but they never get displayed. I think only known and trusted local birders sightings are recognised. So I think any info posted here could be a helpful addition.

Hi Jon. yes I visit that site every day to see what's around. Its the site where I got the Glaucous gull info from. I find it to be a very usefull and informative site. I have sent sights there in the past, but they never get displayed. I think only known and trusted local birders sightings are recognised. So I think any info posted here could be a helpful addition.

I think (?) that if you are a member of Devon Birds, you should be able to post sightings by signing in - I think you have to contact the administrators to establish your credentials, but then it's just like on here!

Good luck, look forward to your posts.

I think (?) that if you are a member of Devon Birds, you should be able to post sightings by signing in - I think you have to contact the administrators to establish your credentials, but then it's just like on here!

Good luck, look forward to your posts.

Yes I was a member and signed in at Devon birds at the time. As far as I am aware I don't have to establish any credentials to post here. I would just like to post my observations without any confrontation.

Encouraged by the reports yesterday and this morning that the Penduline Tits are back at Darts farm, I decided to drop in on may way to the M5. Having lost count of the number of times I have dipped out on these birds I wasn't particularly expectant, as I was also push for time. Persistence finally paid off for me as 2 birds with full masks were showing well feeding on the bulrush when I arrived at around 2pm, and still there when I left at 2:45. The good numbers of Teal, Widgeon and Black Tailed Godwit which were present on my previous visits were all absent today, but 2 Egyptian Geese were grazing in the distance.

In Devon tomorrow staying at Topsham. Will obviously visit Darts Farm but would appreciate any info from any Devon birders regarding other sites in the area. Having been to Broadsands previously to get Cirls, is the feeding still going on or is my best chance for another look at them elsewhere? Any info on sensitive species can of course be PM'ed if it is to be kept off the main forum.

Good sites for reptiles would be good too if the weather improves.

Cheers

Currently staying in Topsham. Had fabulous views of the Penduline Tits yesterday. Going to try for Cirl Buntings today....only ever seen them at Broadsands before, is the feeding still taking place in the Car Park or am I better going elsewhere? I have limited time as leaving late afternoon so would appreciate some advice.

Thanks

Am down for a few days on the 10th june.
Are there any good spots I should try am stopping in Paignton and have been coming down for 30 years.
I know Broadsands as have been there a few times but never to do any birding.
Am still a relative newcomer but enjoy photographing nature.
Any recommendations.

Hi andydan. Replying to this in case no-one else does, not that I know much about that area.

Torbay itself is not particularly interesting at this time of year.
But Berry Head is worth a visit: you never know ! (plus it has a decent breeding Guillemot colony).

Otherwise, I'd say Slapton is a must.

Exploring up the river Dart towards Dartmoor, and the moor itself, could be worthwhile (assuming you have transport).

Good luck !

Spent the afternoon at Chudleigh knighton heath on Sunday 12th. Plenty of Yellow hammer, 3 Green woodpecker, the high light was a pair of Woodlark . Stonechat, goldfinch numbers where good .

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back