• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Practical magnifications (1 Viewer)

I find I normally keep the exit pupil at ~1.5mm or larger for normal observations. However, I find I can use my Nikon Fieldscopes at 1 mm and see more detail than at 1.5mm, provided the atmospheric conditions allow the use of high magnifications. In fact, I find even higher magnifications than 60x on my EDIIIA or 75x on my ED82 can be useful to clinch an ID.

I should perhaps add that my Fieldscopes all seem to be cherries. But the old Nikon Fieldscopes seem me to show less variation than many other scopes anyhow. I've got access to 5 60mm Fieldscopes, and while one seems to be a bit weaker at 60x and one just a tiny bit better than the others at that magnification, they're all remarkably similar and definitely useable at 60x. That's more than I can say of most other makes.

Hermann

Last edited:
Ed,

See if http://www.pt-ducks.com/cr-telescopes.htm helps you. My goal is to read codes of duck nasal saddles at highest distance possible...;)
I add that I'm enjoying the Swaro X95 with the extender - will update the site when will have time.
From memory, I remember that some years ago I looked through a Nikon EDII 60 at 60x and noticed the image dim (although high quality one...), that never noticed much with the ED78 at 75x or the Optolyth 100 at 90x.
So if weight and cost is no problem get a X95 with the extender...3:)

Another factor to take into account when using higher mags is stablity; this can either translate into the quality of the head and tripod, or the weather, particularly wind. At 60x and above, it takes very little movement to spoil the image.
Although i have the extender for the Kowa 883, i tend to take it out now only on the stillest of days; the starting point of 40x is often too much. As time has gone on, i've become much more a fan of the lower mags when using a zoom, as 25x to 35x is often enough, except when trying to read rings etc.

I have a 20-60X 80 mm Celestron Trailseeker coming Friday so we will see how it works. Will let you know my experience with this scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back