• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 8x32 BN (1 Viewer)

Good to hear yours are fine, Kevin. I gues sample variation does exist...

Leica customer service has always been very helpful in solving the issues I experienced.

George

Kevin:

I agree about Leica, it seems only complainers reply much of the time, and the focusers for
99% of users will be just fine.

Just like the recent post about waterproofing, or lack of. We have someone who just proclaim problems
with Leica without any first hand experience. That is poor behavior, not sure why it happens, but it does.

Jerry

Could anyone give a quick summary of the difference between the BA, BN and BR? Thanks

Leica fans will give you more info but my understanding is:

BA 8x32 close focus 3.25 metres
BN 8x32 close focus 2.30 metres
BR 8x32 close focus 2.20 metres

The first two look indentical and are Trinovids but the last one is an Ultravid. Some folks have commented that apart from the close focus and external appearance these are very similar optically but I think the BR is lighter than the two Trinnies.

Lee

Both the BAs/BNs and the original BR are excellent glass, even today, for the person who appreciates quality and craftsmanship. I have never had any problems with any of them, some are over 20 years old.

Andy W.

BR has di-electric coatings and are a bit brighter with a more colour neutral image. BN with serial number over 145xxxxxxx are reported to have better coatings than older BNs. Stray light suppression of the BR is better than the BA. The BR weighs less than the BA/BN.

George

Could anyone give a quick summary of the difference between the BA, BN and BR? Thanks
As Lee said, BN/BR focus to around 6-7 ft vs 10-11 for BA. BA/BN look identical, BR has the new slimmer styling and weighs 19 oz vs 22 (I think), also slightly brighter coatings etc. We have both (in 10x) and either would be very nice at the right price. My favorite small bino.

I immigrated, somehow reluctantly, from the Trinovid BN (8x32) to the Ultravid for weight concern. There are no regrets, but still remember the service from the BN fondly. They were that good really. Enjoy in good health.

Both the BAs/BNs and the original BR are excellent glass, even today, for the person who appreciates quality and craftsmanship. I have never had any problems with any of them, some are over 20 years old.

My mother, a very active birdwatcher, got her 8x32 BA in the early 1990's, immediately after it became available. She's been using it as her only binocular in all sorts of conditions ever since.

No problems at all. None.

Hermann

I immigrated, somehow reluctantly, from the Trinovid BN (8x32) to the Ultravid for weight concern. There are no regrets, but still remember the service from the BN fondly. They were that good really. Enjoy in good health.

What is the weight difference, very small I suppose ? Let us know.

I do like the Leica 8x32 BN, just a nice overall view and handling.

Jerry

I also quite agree. I used to use Leica M series film cameras and while they were a little more prone to problems than Nikon F2 (the toughest camera ever?) the service back up I received from Leica UK in Milton Keynes was always exemplary and almost always free of charge even after the guarantee had expired. Ironically my very first camera seized up after just three rolls of film but they replaced it immediately; they also gave one a photo course out on the street. Back to binoculars: I can also vouch for Ace Optics in Bath, having bought from them over the last twenty years. Always a pleasant experience. Tom

Ace Optics of Bath are an established and reputable seller. The kind of traditional UK camera and optics seller - quite a small shop, stuffed full of gear, stockist for Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss and others. Knowledgeable and very helpful staff. I visited there last year when I was considering a pair of Swarovski ELs - visiting family in bath. When I was trying them, the guy in the shop pointed out the peregrine falcon that was perched on te spire of the church at the end of the street - they have a nest on Bath Abbey neaby, and there are plenty of pigeons to feed on. I wouldn't have any hesitation in buying from them.

Mando, did you know that the / one of the birds up in the spire at the end of Green Street is a toy bird? He hasn't moved for over two or three years if I recall correctly!

Fully in agreement about this excellent shop.

Tom

What is the weight difference, very small I suppose ? Let us know.

I do like the Leica 8x32 BN, just a nice overall view and handling.

Jerry

Jerry,

You are right, the difference in weight between the Trinovid 8x32 BN and the Ultravid HD is relatively small. The Trinovid weighs 625 gram, and the Ultravid 535 grams, only 90 grams (a tad above three ounces). The dimensions of the Trinovid are 112x120x45 millimeter. For the Ultravid, they are 116x116x56 millimeter.

Notwithstanding this limited difference in weight and dimensions, I have found the 90 grams very helpful in controlling the weight of the daily hiking kit. In addition to the Ultravid, the kit includes a camera body with a lens, a cleaning/filter ziplock, bottle of water, spare glass, sun glasses, and personal papers. I use the much smaller Ultravid 8x20 ribbon strap to keep the weight as light as possible; the strap works well.

Enjoy the Trinovid in good health.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back