• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 500mm EX F4.5 HSM (non DG) (1 Viewer)

chinny

Hi,

I just bought a used (MINT) condition Sigma 500mm EX F4.5 HSM, whoa !! Stunning lens, I have a Canon 1DMK2, Both work beautifully together, however when I attach the Sigma TC x1.4 it doesn't auto focus? (I get a beep, when I MF) Am I correct in saying that it should on a 1D?

I have tried taping the pins and I get it to focus but it just hunts EVERYWHERE !! then finally locks on its subject.

My x1.4 TC is the DG version I know the only difference is glass, but are the electronics different do I have a compatibility issue?

So would love for the x1.4 to work, pleeeeeaasssseee HELP

Paul

chinny said:
Hi,

I just bought a used (MINT) condition Sigma 500mm EX F4.5 HSM, whoa !! Stunning lens, I have a Canon 1DMK2, Both work beautifully together, however when I attach the Sigma TC x1.4 it doesn't auto focus? (I get a beep, when I MF) Am I correct in saying that it should on a 1D?

I have tried taping the pins and I get it to focus but it just hunts EVERYWHERE !! then finally locks on its subject.

My x1.4 TC is the DG version I know the only difference is glass, but are the electronics different do I have a compatibility issue?
So would love for the x1.4 to work, pleeeeeaasssseee HELP
Paul

It wont work with the Sigma 1.4x as the lens is a f4.5. The minimum needed is f4 for autofocus. It will work however with a kenko pro 300 1.4x, as this does not report the true aperture to the camera. these so called dumb converters are excellent quality & i use one regularly with this lens & a D2x.
Regards Rob.

I'd caution slightly over the newer Kenko tc's... I believe Postcardcv can't get his to work with his Canon 350D & 500mm f4.5. I know 20D users had no problems with this combination & older non 'DG' Kenko Pro 300 teleconverters. Even some Nikon users are having problems lately (maybe down to newer 3D matrix metering in the cameras?) It seems Kenko has lost it's reputation of being an easy-going teleconverter lately

I may be wrong, but the big Canon should be o.k to f8 as far as AF.

Rob Chace said:
It wont work with the Sigma 1.4x as the lens is a f4.5. The minimum needed is f4 for autofocus. It will work however with a kenko pro 300 1.4x, as this does not report the true aperture to the camera. these so called dumb converters are excellent quality & i use one regularly with this lens & a D2x.
Regards Rob.
Bizarrely, I couldn't get my Kenko Pro300 to work with D2x + Sigma 500mm f4.5 ... had to get a Nikon TC-14E and a hacksaw.

As Andy mentioned I use this lens with a Kenko pro 300 1.4x and have had to tape three pins to get it to AF. With the pins taped the AF is very fast and true, so it's certainly worth trying. Though as has also been mentioned a 1D should AF even out to f8.

Thanks Very much for your replies, very frustrating !! Anybody live near Rugby that could help me out with the converter or has non sigma one? I'd also like to try my lens on another 1D?

Thanks in anticipation...
Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back