• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 300mm F2.8 (1 Viewer)

rezMole

United Kingdom
Does anyone use this lens?

I am toying with the idea of getting one of these in the future - lack of funds dictate that it might be some time, but i like to plan early!

Currently i use a Tamron 200-500 zoom which is a great lens, but i'd like something a bit better. There's no way i could afford a long Nikon prime, and am wondering if the Sigma, with a 1.4 or 2x converter would give me improved images.

One of the things i don't like about the Tamron is the need to flick a switch to move from AF to MF. I believe this is unnessesary with the Sigms - is this belief correct?

Is the lens really big? The Tamron is quite long with the lens hood attached and at 500mm, which makes the balance a little awkward, even though it is quite "slim"?

I have checked in the review section and no one seems to have reviewed this lens - perhaps someone would do a review?

Finally, is it possible to "stack" two converters with this lens? I know the quality would drop a great deal - but i was thinking this option migt be useful for "record" shots, if nothing else.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with this lens so my comments are general rather than specific.

What you seem to be saying is that you'd keep a converter on this lens most of the time making it a sort of economical 420mm F4 or 600mm F5.6 lens rather than using the converters as an occasional bonus when the situation demands.

I think this would only work within a certain range - where the prime lens itself gives best parformance. Many good quality lenses can resolve more detail than the film/sensor can record and adding a good converter to these will not harm quality too much but once you get to more distant subjects (which is where it would be most useful) then you hit a problem - as the converter goes behind the lens it can only magnify what the lens has recorded. If the subject is too far away for the lens to define small details then the converter will only magnify the limitations of the lens.

rezMole said:
Does anyone use this lens?

I had the Sigma 300 2.8 for about a year and used it extensively.

Razor sharp images at all apertures -- honestly rivaled the Nikon 300 2.8 AFS lens which was over twice the price at the time (probably still is).

It IS a HEAVY lens for a 300mm. Very front-heavy, which makes handholding pretty difficult.

Size-wise it's about the same length as a Nikon 80-200, but almost twice the diameter on the business end.

I really love the performance of the 300 2.8 HSM lens. Focusing was, shall we say DAMN FAST. Very noise-free. I couldn't tell the lens elements were even moving 95% of the time. Focus was spot-on and instantaneous. I never experienced any focus hunting unless it was almost dark.

A real winner in the Sigma stable.
So, you're asking, since I loved it so much, why did I get rid of it?

The answer is quite elementary. I shoot zoom lenses almost all the time, and had picked up the Sigma 120-300 2.8 HSM lens (another fantastic lens - Sigma even admits that it's sharper than their primes).
Couldn't afford to keep both, and it wasn't necessary.

Actually, given the image performance of the 120-300 lens, you might consider that one in lieu of the 300 prime. Same, if not better, image quality at just about the same price (at least in the US), and you have a wide-range zoom to boot!

Just a thought. Hope all this helped.

-Ken

I'll second what kennyg92 stated. I have and used the Sigma 300 f/2.8 it's sharp, but I don't know if I would stack tele-converters on it. I used the 1.4 converter on it in Africa several years ago and my results were great. But nothing is a substitute for the real thing, and I now have a Nikkor 600 f/4. I personally would go for the 120-300 f/2.8 Sigma, I'm thinking of adding one of those to my stash.

Hi rezMole

I use a Sigma 300 2.8 (together with the Sigma 80-400 OS zoom) and the image quality of both lenses is excellent but the 300 takes the biscuit! It's a sizeable chunk of kit to carry and hand holding it is out of the question really so I use it mostly on a bean bag or tripod. The tripod mount that comes with the lens is next to useless for a lens of this size and weight and it cost me a further £100 to get a bigger beefier version from Sigma (the better version is supplied as standard on the 80-400 lens!) You still have a switch for AF / MF but the lens can be manually focussed when set in AF. I use both 1.4 and 2x converters (both Sigma) and still retain autofocus which is a big plus - with the x2 this gives a 600 5.6! Image quality with the 1.4x is still absolutely superb but is a little soft with the x2, but nothing that can't be tweaked in Photoshop. Stacking both converters gives results that are similar to looking through a steamed-up window so I wouldn't really recommend it, other than in an absolute emergency! For the money though it takes some beating.

Last edited:
I've been using the Sigma 300/2.8 for a short time and IMO it is a truly excellent lens. I disagree with the comments about handholding; although it is a heavy lens it is quite comfortable to handhold (the Kittiwake shot below was handheld). With a 1.4xTC autofocus is slower, although still very good and the image quality is also still impressive. I haven't tried stacking 1.4 and 2.0x TC's yet but I will. The Jackdaw and Sprawk images below were taken using a 1.4xTC.

martin

Attachments

• _DSC0047_edited0001.JPG
    _DSC0047_edited0001.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 2,192
  • _DSC00690001.JPG
    _DSC00690001.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 1,832
  • _DSC00750001.JPG
    _DSC00750001.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 2,436
I wasn't considering stacking converters, just using it with a 2x converter. This would give 600mm at half the price of a Nikon 600mm prime.

If the 120-300 zoom is so good, I might even consider that one. Would like to compare with my Tamron 200-500.

rezMole said:
Finally, is it possible to "stack" two converters with this lens? I know the quality would drop a great deal - but i was thinking this option migt be useful for "record" shots, if nothing else.

rezMole said:
I wasn't considering stacking convertors........

:h?:

martin

christineredgate said:
There is a Sigma 300 lens plus converter for sale on both here and WPF.Not sure which 300 it is.

I know, and a very good price too! Unfortunately it is a Canon fit, and i use a Nikon body, otherwise i'd have snapped it up.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back