• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buzzard Attacks Jogger (1 Viewer)

Ian Bell

Supporter
Scotland
I was speaking with my Doctor,this morning and he told me,that while out Jogging through a woodland path,a Common Buzzard flew from where it was perched and attacked him.The birds talons,have left a mark in my poor GPs neck.I have my own theory on why the bird would behave like this but would certainly appreciate the comments of other birders ?

Only thing i can think of is,there must of been a chick about that was possibly on the ground,this happened to me many years ago with a pair of kestrals,very frightning.

Buzzard attack this morning!

Hello all

We have alot of buzzards in our local area and when out running this morning I experienced being attacked by one.

I've run the same route down through fields near home for the last 10 years and this is the first time it has happened. Whilst it was fantastic to be so close to the bird, it was also very frightening to have it continue to swoop and dive bomb me.

I never thought for one minute I would be at risk of the bird attacking me physically but after searching on the internet, i've found stories of people with injuries so feel lucky that I got away without being hurt.

This bird is obviously protecting a nest so I guess I will have to respect it's wishes and change my route for a while!

Caroline

Hello all

We have alot of buzzards in our local area and when out running this morning I experienced being attacked by one.

I've run the same route down through fields near home for the last 10 years and this is the first time it has happened. Whilst it was fantastic to be so close to the bird, it was also very frightening to have it continue to swoop and dive bomb me.

I never thought for one minute I would be at risk of the bird attacking me physically but after searching on the internet, i've found stories of people with injuries so feel lucky that I got away without being hurt.

This bird is obviously protecting a nest so I guess I will have to respect it's wishes and change my route for a while!

Caroline

That to me Caroline, is exactly the right attitude :t:

It is possible to return a hand reared bird that has become an imprint back to the wild it will act like a typical wild bird until the breeding season then it can be dangerous to people as it sees them as trespassers on its territory will not pair with another buzzard and will deny the territory to natural well balanced sociologically normal birds of their species

why dont you see buzzards attacking ravens and other corvids which mob them really viciously?
Maybe they lack confidence? But you are right, you would think they'd give as good as they get in these situations. I'd imagine a buzzard could easily kill a hoodie. But maybe they are conscious of the backlash there might be in the corvid community if they took out one of their mates.

why dont you see buzzards attacking ravens and other corvids which mob them really viciously?

Particularly with the larger species that mob them it is largely a question of risk. Raptors (all predators) stand or fall by their physical fitness whereas an injured grazer or seed-eater can still adequately pounce on a dandelion or a sunflower seed.

Going for an all out attack on something the same size, of similar (or in the case of Raven, better) flying ability and in possession of a substantial offensive weapon, to wit, a big long sharp bill, risks too much damage.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back