• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Second fledge and a picture....just. (1 Viewer)

charlierocky

On afternoons yesterday arriving at work around 1:30pm I found a fledgling sat high up on a ten story building roof top. Not being sure that this bird was not the one that had fledged the previous day, I had a good look around and eventually found a second fledgling on the very top of the tower. This confirmed that another juvenile had fledged and later I was able to see a third still in the nest, so we are still on for three chicks.
The Falcon is looking after them very well indeed, as she vocalises very loudly when we walk across the yard. The crow population is having to keep it's head down as I have witnessed the Falcon making a few strikes if they get to close to a fledgeling.
So I am very pleased with out come so far and I even managed a picture this time, not a very flatering one but never the less a picture of the chick the day it fledged!

Attachments

• DSCN9817.JPG
    DSCN9817.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCN9818.JPG
    DSCN9818.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN9819.JPG
    DSCN9819.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 21
Great news Charlie: lets hope the 3rd chick makes it. it's good to know that nature has ways of overcoming possible dangers. When one thinks back to the time when you were worried about all the disturbance on site, and your concerns about whether or not they would nest successfully, it's really remarkable to get to this stage. Please keep the news coming.

Baz.

Great news Charlie: lets hope the 3rd chick makes it. it's good to know that nature has ways of overcoming possible dangers. When one thinks back to the time when you were worried about all the disturbance on site, and your concerns about whether or not they would nest successfully, it's really remarkable to get to this stage. Please keep the news coming.

Baz.

Yes Baz, I totally agree. It seems like only yesterday that I feared the worse. In about a week or so from now we should be out of the woods with five Peregrines in the vacinity, flying like tornado's and giving the corvids what for!

When one thinks back to the time when you were worried about all the disturbance on site, and your concerns about whether or not they would nest successfully, it's really remarkable to get to this stage.
Absolutely!

Excellent that you managed to capture the fledgling too, Charlie. I am enjoying your updates, thank you.

As I arrived at work yesterday afternoon the Falcon was feeding the fledged chicks. She was just flying from the building that you can see in the pictures as I pulled into work, so I can only assume she had fed that juvenile. She then took what was left of the prey about a 100m flight on top of some huge silo's where the juvenile that fledged last friday was waiting. This meant that bird in the picture had spent two days on that roof without moving but later in the day it disappeared. Just before I finished work the juvenile reappeared on the same roof, demonstrating that it could now fly off some where and return to the safety of that high roof. In other words it's learning to fly!
The third chick remains in the nest but I have not witnessed it being fed for a while, if that is so the parents are really piling on the preasure for it to take that leap of faith.

Hi Charlie,

Good stuff, thanks for keeping us up to date. So far it all looks pretty good. I can understand the Corvids keeping a low profile while the Falcon is still looking for food for the brood.

Nice photos, any thoughts about what sex the young are?

Bill

Hi Charlie,

Good stuff, thanks for keeping us up to date. So far it all looks pretty good. I can understand the Corvids keeping a low profile while the Falcon is still looking for food for the brood.

Nice photos, any thoughts about what sex the young are?

Bill

Hi Bill, I think there are two Tiercel and one Falcon, although the remaining chick in the nest has not given me great views. The bird in the picture looks quite large and so more than likely, the Falcon. Coupled to that she spent the two days on the roof strengthnening her wings, something I am assuming takes place because she will be heaviour and therefore takes the wings a little longer to get strong enough. The Juvenile that fledged last Friday already seems to be flying where it pleases with little trouble.

Great news Charles!

Great that you get to view the fledglings every day!

In my younger days I raised racing pigeons. At 30 days old we would put them in a "settling cage" placed on the landing board of the loft to allow the young-ones time to view the immediate area of the loft and yet prevent them from taking off as a group until we thought the time was right. By observation you could tell the right day by their excited alert actions. At 30 days their called "squeakers", and grow quickly into unruly teen ages just waiting to tear through the skies on their imprint flights. Can be a nervous few hours waiting for your team to show their appearance.

I can imangine how the parents must feel:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back