• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astroscope + DSLR = Setups! (1 Viewer)

Yes it does have a screw underneath - never messed with it before and all seemed OK. But now the tube is so loose, I will have to try and adjust it so that it still lets me focus but stays tightish.

Thank cango

when I carry the scope, I always tighten that screw hard (not too hard, though) to avoid it travelling out. then I loosen it up for shooting. (not too loose)

Thanks for the link Paul.

It does look like I have a problem with the focuser, as I just cannot get crisp images in my cameras viewfinder like I used to. So I got a mate of mine who is into astrophotography to have a look using all the other astro bits that came with the scope and he said its difficult to get pin point focus which should be possible with this scope, so it looks like I may have to have a look at the focuser. I have not knocked or dropped the scope so I am wondering why it has gone haywire all of a sudden. :eek!:

If it's a viewfinder problem then maybe check the diopter setting by adjusting the tiny wheel on the camera viewfinder. If the diopter is off then the image will never look fully in focus. Put a lens on the camera and let it auto focus on a target and see if it looks in focus to your eye, if it isn't then adjust the diopter. Try an eyepiece on the scope and see if that focuses ok, if it does then it wouldn't be the scope.

Paul.

Good catch. Adjusting the diopter setting could also be done by looking at the AF points in the viewfinder and turning the wheel until the AF points appear as sharp as possible. (That's how I do).

If it's a viewfinder problem then maybe check the diopter setting by adjusting the tiny wheel on the camera viewfinder. If the diopter is off then the image will never look fully in focus. Put a lens on the camera and let it auto focus on a target and see if it looks in focus to your eye, if it isn't then adjust the diopter. Try an eyepiece on the scope and see if that focuses ok, if it does then it wouldn't be the scope.

Paul.

My mate tried it with the eyepiece and as he said he could not get pin point focus. I have a 400 lens and all is ok with that with ref the diopter setting.

There's no collimation possible on the Skywatcher and simple two element scopes like this don't need it anyway. All you can check is that the glass isn't loose and if it is then carefully tighten the retaining ring.

Check there's no play in the focuser, as in up/down and left/right. Make sure it is all located properly and in perfect alignment.

If you hadn't already done so I'd check focus with an eyepiece and without using an erecting mirror/prism just to be sure the image is as pure as possible. The image will be the wrong way up but that doesn't matter.

Paul.

Hi all,
Just joined on the recommendation of cango, whom I know from the four thirds forum. Having read through this thread I went out and bought a Skywatcher 80/600 from Telescop-Austria. They gave me a good deal. Nice people. Just the basic setup but with a micro-focuser. Got it home late in the day, put on the micro-focuser, slapped it on my old tripod (needs a new head, but otherwise, sturdy), and waited for the birds to show up. All I got were these. Ah yes, camera is an Olympus E-30.
3T270143_resize.jpg 3T270158_resize.jpg
Both about 30 meters away. 1/200 and 1/320 second, ISO 400.
Looking forward to trying it out in good light.

And one of the moon just for fun. 80/600+EC20 (2xTC) 5 frame stack.
moon 1a_resize.jpg

Last edited:
My prime focus setup

Hello, I have written another thread with my afocal coupling setup, with a Televue 76 scope, a Televue Radian 14mm eyepiece, and a Sony DSC-W7 compact camera.

I also use this scope for prime focus digiscoping, if it can be told that way, with this setup. From right to left:

- Televue 76 scope, f6.3 480mm focal length.
- A 2'' tube extender (the main body of the GSO 2'' 2x barlow)
- A 2'' tube extender with an integrated T thread
- A M42 to Canon ring with an integrated focusing chip (Big IS).
- A Canon 1000D
- Between the 701 RC2 header and the scope I use a cheap balance plate as you can see. It allows me to perfectly balance the whole setup in their different configurations: prime focus, prime focus with barlows or powermate, afocal coupling with the compact camera.

Please note that the M42 thread doesn't fit perfectly on the T thread due to its different pitch, but in my experience with this light camera body it is tight enough to hold it. It's not a good idea to tighten it a lot, but at the moment it is working for me.

The scope's focal length of 480mm tend to be more like a 510mm one when you focus to near objects, so with the 1.6x crop factor of the camera you have more or less 800mm of equivalent focal length.

Color rendering, image quality and details are fantastic for me. Smooth focusing, bright and crisp views through the finder, I am very happy with it.

I have learnt a lot reading you, so I have to thank to Mr. Paul Corfield and other guys for sharing their knowledge here and try to feedback all what I have tested.

I also have a 2x 2'' barlow from GSO, and a 1.25'' 2.5x powermate from Televue. I can use them with the prime focus setup or even with the compact camera, reaching insane magnification.

I am suffering big troubles with the barlow when you have shiny weather, (what is almost always here in Malaga at the south of Andalucia). I have baffled it, but it seems to be not enough yet, next time I have to try baffling directly the T ring attached to the camera with a rectangular window for the sensor.

I have also tested diaphragming the scope with great success, even for using the eyepiece + compact camera it gives you more deep of field.

Thanks again to everyone here sharing knowledge and experiences.

Cristobal

Attachments

• peqDSC00286.jpg
    peqDSC00286.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 257
  • peqDSC00287.jpg
    peqDSC00287.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
My setup
Skywatcher 80 ED
Pentax K-5
80mm Extension Tube
Digipod "some model" tripod - to be replaced by a Feisol later
Manfrotto 3130 Head - to be replaced by a Berlebach 552

I have attached the dovetail to the tube, shortened the dew shield and taped the tube. Next step is to replace the focuser and to give a matte-black paint job to the dew shield and "lens cell ring". Last step will be flocking everything. The tape in daylight is a very dark green, looks almost black in these pictures.

Attachments

• 20120917_1802322.jpg
    20120917_1802322.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 211
  • 20120917_1806155.jpg
    20120917_1806155.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
My setup
Skywatcher 80 ED
Pentax K-5
80mm Extension Tube
Digipod "some model" tripod - to be replaced by a Feisol later
Manfrotto 3130 Head - to be replaced by a Berlebach 552
Hi Oskar,
From own experience a gimbal head and a quick release plate would be a good companion, providing perfect balance and a sliding the plate +/-1 cm allowing to compensate for different lengths, teleconverters etc. You can check my setup.

Hi Oskar,
From own experience a gimbal head and a quick release plate would be a good companion, providing perfect balance and a sliding the plate +/-1 cm allowing to compensate for different lengths, teleconverters etc. You can check my setup.
Yes I have been considering a gimbal as well. My SW will also make double work as a spotting scope. As a spotter I very much need a handle for controlling the tube, it gets awkward aiming it by holding the scope body. If it wasn't intended for double-use as a spotter as well I would've definitely be getting a gimbal head. With a long Arca Swiss plate I figure I'll be able to balance it pretty closely for different uses.

Updated. Fitted a new focuser, and gave the dew shield a paint job. The green tape will have to do for now, maybe the tube will get some paint later on. At least it protects a bit from the rain before you'll have to cover it in plastic bags.

It's dark here so picture is noisy.

Attachments

• 20120919_1908033.jpg
    20120919_1908033.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Hello, a mate of mine who is looking at getting into this asked me if this scope would be any good. Its a Skywatcher Startravel 102 Short Tube F5 Refractor Telescope. Smaller than the skywatcher 80, but I noticed its not ED glass so unsure if its any good.

He wanted my old 80ED but I have already sold it. So I said i would ask the experts about this startravel scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back