• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astroscope + DSLR = Setups! (1 Viewer)

For the scope I'd probably look at the German site Teleskop Express, link below. A few here have got their scope from them and their price is way better than UK prices. They do 2 versions and the difference is a basic focuser compared to a micro 1:10 focuser. 10 turns of the small wheel will turn the big wheel one revolution. I've had both and currently just use a basic focuser. When I had a 1:10 I never used it but a lot of people do use it. For focusing on birds I like to see the image going in and out of focus quickly so I can quickly find the sweet spot of where the focus is. With the 1:10 it's a much smaller change and in my opinion not as obvious when fine focus is achieved. The basic scope on this link comes in at around £270 and the other focuser is £334. There may be tax and certainly some shipping on top of that but it's likely cheaper than the £470 UK average. That site also carries the extension tubes in various lengths.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/index.php/manufacturers_id/21/page/2

Paul.
Thanks Paul, I am not sure what I am really looking for on the site - is it a Skywatcher EVOSTAR ED80 Pro - ED APO 80/600mm at 339 euros?

Thanks for all your help Guys :t::t::t: As I know nothing about this stuff can I just double check that the following is what I want and all compatible before ordering:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p1060_Skywatcher-EVOSTAR-ED80---ED-APO-80-600mm---2--Crayford.html

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/astro engineering/telescope/adaptors/45mm80mm.html

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/astro-engineering/astro-camera-adaptor/AC696-2inch%20to%20camera/DSLR.html

EDIT just seen your post Paul so seems like I have the right scope
(I am like you with manual focussing I like to see the oof both sides before finding the sweet spot).

Last edited:
Thanks to all - gear is now ordered. Just had a thought about converters - I have a third party 2x which should be fine but my 1.4x is a Canon, I doubt that the EOS adapter will fit over the protrusion of the TC will it? Looks like I may have to get a Kenko 1.4x :C

Check out the other threads on TCs and TNs. Are you using a Canon? If so, just put the TC betwaan the Camera and the telescope, just like you would with a normal lens.

Check out the other threads on TCs and TNs. Are you using a Canon? If so, just put the TC betwaan the Camera and the telescope, just like you would with a normal lens.
Ah, so you are saying that the EOS adapter will fit onto a Canon tc (with its protrusion) - that's good to know :t:

I'd imagine it would fit fine. What is the diameter of the protruding part on the Canon TC? I don't have a max dslr so I can't say for sure if it will fit. My T-ring has a smallest hole of 1.5" but I'd expect the Max dslr is bigger.

If it doesn't fit then have a look at the thread on using telenegatives from old zoom lenses. When focusing a zoom, this is lens group that you see moving up and down just behind the front lens. When you take out the front lens you can unscrew that lens group and it makes a great teleconverter. Ones from 100-200mm lenses work best and give around 1.5X mag and are usually slightly sharper than an equivalent teleconverter. Best of all they are cheap on ebay, under £10 for an old lens is average.

Paul.

That looks good 'Musoman' thanks for the link. Probably a stupid question but how does the extension tube fit to this also how does the extension tube fit to the scope at the other end?
Roy,

No need to worry.

The male end of the extension tube slides into the focuser. The DSLR adapter is slided into the female end of the extension tube. Connection is secured by the means of tightening a screw that is compressing a brass ring. Refer to this picture.

Many extension tubes (as the one depicted) and adapter rings are fitted with an "undercut" (not sure about the English word), a machine cut groove that serves as a security measure preventing from accidentally dropping the camera, should the screw become loose and the compression ring no longer firmly hold the tube.

More questions? Keep asking.

HTH
Tord

That looks good 'Musoman' thanks for the link. Probably a stupid question but how does the extension tube fit to this also how does the extension tube fit to the scope at the other end?

Everyone's answered you so i can only add that you will not pay any import / duty Taxes on stuff from Germany, as its EU. Bonus !!

It'll just be Shipping costs and they're pretty reasonable on that too

I've bought from them when i purchased my 2nd astro scope and they're good to deal with. I do believe Fernando Batista in this forum got his TL804 from the same people

Everyone's answered you so i can only add that you will not pay any import / duty Taxes on stuff from Germany, as its EU. Bonus !!

It'll just be Shipping costs and they're pretty reasonable on that too

I've bought from them when i purchased my 2nd astro scope and they're good to deal with. I do believe Fernando Batista in this forum got his TL804 from the same people
Thanks Musoman, I was wondering about import/taxes - never knew that everything from the EU is tax free (although you do pay the German tax of 19% I suppose). The scope and shipping came to less than £300.
I have already received the EOS adapter and 80mm Extension tube and scope will be delivered on Monday so looking forward to giving it a whirl. BTW what sort of minimum focus distance can I expect with the 80mm tube?

Yup , the German prices on that site have already had the taxes included in the cost, I think

an 80mm ext tube is about the limit i think, maybe even a bit less is required. Paul C has done umpteen experiments with ext. tube lengths so he can verify what 80mm will get you as far as MFD goes.

I think mine was 60mm - ish, ( you get a few mm when adding the MAX DSLR too, around 10/15mm so that adds upto 70/75mm ) and would get you around 5 - ish metres MFD. If you want closer, add more ext. tube, but you will find that you lose infinity focus.

Having said that, I suppose you dont really need infinity focus when its birds you're snapping. There's going to be a distance limit for such photography because of their size.

Last edited:
Scope arrived today, looks a nice bit of kit however I have run into my first problem - the thread on the scopes tripod connector is a different one to the screw on my arca style lens plate!!! anyone else come across this???

Scope arrived today, looks a nice bit of kit however I have run into my first problem - the thread on the scopes tripod connector is a different one to the screw on my arca style lens plate!!! anyone else come across this???
Are you sure you tested them all? I think there are two 1/4" that should fit, and two others which doesn't screw all the way down.

EXIF from from test shot shows shutter speed and ISO correct but aperture shows f22 - no problem I guess this is normal? (Camera 7D).
Also Scope (SW80 basic version) came without box and eyepiece - again I guess this is normal but just checking.
Attached is my first grabbed shot taken through a double glazed window in crap light (ISO 800) - car was around a good 150 meters away if not further, First impressions are very positive. I really like the focuser which is nice and smooth.

Attachments

• sw test.jpg
    sw test.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
If you bought an OTA ( Optical Tube Assembly ) you wont get the eyepiece or the diagonal ( if memory serves ), so alls well there. But you should have got the mount rings - didnt see you mention those ?

Also did you get a dovetail plate for mounting on your tripod, if not, how is the scope mounted ?

If you bought an OTA ( Optical Tube Assembly ) you wont get the eyepiece or the diagonal ( if memory serves ), so alls well there. But you should have got the mount rings - didnt see you mention those ?

Also did you get a dovetail plate for mounting on your tripod, if not, how is the scope mounted ?
Not sure what mounting rings are but there were a few pieces attached to the scope that I removed to put the Extension tube on. I guess I would need the parts if I ever got an eye piece for using as a scope.

I have a problem with mounting on my gimbal head as my arca lens plate has an anti twist flange that does not allow it to sit tight - I am going to have to buy another lens plate with two screws that does not have this flange (£50 :C).

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back