• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

PDF Internet Opening Fix ? (1 Viewer)

Mick Sway

United Kingdom
Hi All
I seem to have lost the ability to open PDF's directly from a web browser link.
For example the PDF's on Travelingbirder.com
Can anyone advise if there is a fix for this?
I am running Vista 32 bit, Adobe Reader X, Acrobat 5
Thanks
Mick

Can you try right-clicking on the link and saving the file on your computer before opening it? I get lots of calls/e-mails similar to what you say at my work, I've never been able to work out what causes it, although right-clicking is a way around it.

I always set my pdf files to save and then open them directly in my pdf viewer, from a security point of view, it's the safest option. Go with the right-click and Save as option gets my vote.

What I'm trying to do is open a PDF directly from a web site link, so that I can copy and paste the link, on emails or threads to others.
When I attempt this the following happens:
1) Click on link - for e.g. one of the PDF's at this site:
2) A new tab opens (titled "new tab")
3) The browser bar on the new tab reads ; about:blank
4) The screen on that tab is completely blank and stays that way
Andrew - thanks for the advice anyway.
Any other opinions welcome.
Thanks
Mick
:-C

If you just want to send the link to the file to someone, you can just right-click on the link and choose Copy Link Location (in Firefox, it may be worded differently in other browsers), then in the body of your e-mail, just do Ctrl-V to paste it into the e-mail.

What I'm trying to do is open a PDF directly from a web site link, so that I can copy and paste the link, on emails or threads to others.
When I attempt this the following happens:
1) Click on link - for e.g. one of the PDF's at this site:
2) A new tab opens (titled "new tab")
3) The browser bar on the new tab reads ; about:blank
4) The screen on that tab is completely blank and stays that way
Andrew - thanks for the advice anyway.
Any other opinions welcome.
Thanks
Mick
:-C

Often happens to me too (usually on HMRC website for some reason, when looking at client's tax affairs etc!), and usually fixed by refreshing the page with pdf open.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back