• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unexpected breeding behaviour in Emperor penguins (1 Viewer)

Kits

Picture Picker
Emperor penguins have displayed some unexpected breeding behaviour in the Antarctic that could mean they are much more resilient to environmental change than previously recognised.

Satellite images show colonies moving their locations in years when the thin sea ice on which they habitually breed forms late or is absent.

Scientists report the observations in the online journal Plos One.

They reveal the birds travelling long distances to find alternative sites.

These are further in towards the coast, up on the ice shelves - the thick slabs of glacier ice that jut out over the ocean.

It is a surprise because these shelves are frequently faced with cliffs that may be tens of metres high in places. But somehow, the emperors find a way up to breed, and also to come and go as they forage for the seafood that will sustain their chicks.

"We thought that in years when the sea ice was bad, they just didn't breed, but they're clearly more adaptable than that," said lead author Peter Fretwell from the British Antarctic Survey.

The emperor is the most southerly of the Antarctic penguin species and the only one to breed on sea ice in the southern winter.

Their reliance on these thin seasonal marine floes as a reproductive platform, coupled with concern about how the patterns of Antarctic sea ice could change in a warming world, has led to the species being designated as "near threatened" on the IUCN red list.

Full article here.

I know nothing about Emperors except what I see on TV, but this doesn't surprise me.
Surely a bird that has evolved such an astonishing breeding cycle (I guess to get away from predators) must be well aware of ice conditions, and is quite capable of moving when it needs to.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back