• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What can I use to cover the algae? (1 Viewer)

MobiusX

I have a bird feeder and I raked the bird seeds until all the grass is no longer there anymore and it's dirt now but algae grows. Every time I rake the bird seeds I throw away the algae then on top of that I put a lot of natural wheat straw. But algae still grows. How can I either cover it so birds are not eating from it? I put more wheat straw every week. I rake it once a month. What can I use to cover the algae but at the same time make it 100% safe for birds to eat from? The bird feeder is in the middle so it's like a pole right in the middle. I have a small fence around the bird feeder. The algae was there long before the fence was there. It's going to be hard to treat the algae since it uses dangerous chemicals that isn't safe for birds to eat from. So I am thinking maybe using a nontoxic waterproof mat? This will make I can wash it and reuse it. On top of the mat I will put a lot of wheat straw but it's going to be hard since there is a pole right in the middle and also it needs to be flat and when it rains it has to remain flat.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back