• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small flycatcher from lowland Peru (1 Viewer)

Thibaud

Hi again,

I'm confused by this flycatcher, seen in degraded riparian forest, on the edge of a chacra, about 400 masl.
As usual, this was in eastern Pasco (central Peru).
It looks like it had an injury (missing an eye?) and the whole face looks a bit odd. I can't tell if that's a black brow or part of the injury.
Occam's razor says this is a Tolmomyias, but the jizz almost reminds me of Todirostrum..
What say the experts?

Many thanks as always.
T

Attachments

• IMG_2858 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_2858 - Copy.jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2859 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_2859 - Copy.jpg
    407.6 KB · Views: 34
Hi again,

I'm confused by this flycatcher, seen in degraded riparian forest, on the edge of a chacra, about 400 masl.
As usual, this was in eastern Pasco (central Peru).
It looks like it had an injury (missing an eye?) and the whole face looks a bit odd. I can't tell if that's a black brow or part of the injury.
Occam's razor says this is a Tolmomyias, but the jizz almost reminds me of Todirostrum..
What say the experts?

Many thanks as always.
T

A difficult flycatcher: surely not! On balance, my best guess is grey-crowned fly.

For me, this is the wrong shape and colour pattern to be a tody-fly. Of the others, suggest it's between yellow-margined and grey-crowned fly. The bird is clearly ill or disabled which doesn't help

I see a bill which is darker from around halfway to tip with a paler lower mandible. In pic 2 I see a sunken pale eye. There is a pale lore with dark above. The yellow underparts are quite uniform including the chin. There are yellow edges to the flight feathers but these are muted, not extensive. In combination I think these rule out yellow-margined.

Looking at photos in Birds of the World, some of them are reasonably close.

Niels

Yeah but there are about 3+ things which are all vaguely close. It's especially difficult as many characters are difficult to see---you might well disagree with my interpretation of them

I agree this is definitely a Tolmomyias. I think you can eliminate Yellow-margined and I suspect it's Gray-crowned but hard to be certain between it isn't Yellow-olive, as the riparian subsp in that part of the Amazon is very similar to Gray-crowned.

I agree this is definitely a Tolmomyias. I think you can eliminate Yellow-margined and I suspect it's Gray-crowned but hard to be certain between it isn't Yellow-olive, as the riparian subsp in that part of the Amazon is very similar to Gray-crowned.

Agree: if I'm right about bill colours and eye colour suggest that should swing it...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back