• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird Ecuador cloud forest (1 Viewer)

Matt Bell

Checking my trip notes against my photos, this picture doesn't fit any of the hummingbirds in my list.

The orange-brown malar stripe would suggest Rufous-gaped Hillstar (aka White-tailed Hillstar). Any thoughts?

The pic was taken in January in the cloud forest at Mashpi, around 1,000 masl, approx. two-and-a-half hours drive north of Quito.

I'm sorry the picture's a bit 'dramatic'. It's the only one I have of this bird.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_7649.JPG
    IMG_7649.JPG
    191.7 KB · Views: 46
A juvenile of whatever Brilliant is found at that location.

Niels

Thanks, Niels, having looked at some more pics online, I see exactly what you mean.

We saw Empress Brilliant and Green-crowned Brilliant at the same feeder. I had the bird pictured below as a female Empress. Would that be right?

Attachments

• IMG_7637.jpg
    IMG_7637.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 20
I'm thinking green-crowned is more likely for the last. As far as I can see, the white streaks extend further down on that species (as here); on empress, feathers that low tend to be a more solid golden-green.

Checking my trip notes against my photos, this picture doesn't fit any of the hummingbirds in my list.

The orange-brown malar stripe would suggest Rufous-gaped Hillstar (aka White-tailed Hillstar). Any thoughts?

The pic was taken in January in the cloud forest at Mashpi, around 1,000 masl, approx. two-and-a-half hours drive north of Quito.

I'm sorry the picture's a bit 'dramatic'. It's the only one I have of this bird.

Thanks.

I get more of an immature male green-crowned brilliant feel from this. We can't see well, but if think we'd get more of the "needle" impression for the bill, and at least some indication of the blue breast area.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back