• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newbi......... (1 Viewer)

jaqnet

Any advice on buying a scope ?, Im a photographer that understands quality costs money, would like a decent quality scope any suggestions or offers of used kit ?
Guess should be looking at Leica or Swarovski ?;)
Regards David

Hi David,

A warm welcome to BirdForum. You will find this to be a friendly and very helpful site.

You have part answered your own question. Take it fom me, a good quality scope is a worthwhile inverstment in the long run. Like many others, I began with a "cheaper" option and gradually upgraded as funds allowed. By the time I could afford the scope I really wanted I could have bought it twice over because of losing out on trade-ins in the meantime.

Choosing a scope is a personal choice. I would strongly recommend "trying before you buy" either by asking others to allow you to look through their scope or go to a good retailer and sample what is on offer. Any of the well-known top brands should give you good service and choosing to buy either new or used will depend on how much you are willing to spend.

You mentioned that you are a photographer. At some point you may consider having a go at digiscoping. In which case buy a scope with ED, APO, Fluorite, HD or Low-dispersion glass (depending on make and model). You will then be able to use the scope as a super-tele lens with the right adaptor to connect camera to scope eyepiece.

Best of luck!

Mike

David,
Welcome to the world of Digiscoping.
As Mike mentioned it's better to spend the money up front so that you get the best system for giving you quality that will make you happy.
Swarovski,Leica,Zeiss,Kowa and Nikon are the major brands you should look at.
Have a read through some of the threads here to get some ideas.
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back